....oh boy...harmful?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Ears

Reaction score
Worms. From the looks of them dead caterpillars.... look closer, that one's moving! :sick:
Great, so I found these black living caterpillars in the soil under my rabbit hutches. That's right not ON the soil, IN the soil. :x I guess they'd be more like worms? Anyway, can anyone tell me what they are or if they may be harmful? I dug up all the ones I could find and took them WAY down the street and squashed them. :bash:
I then poured a bleach solution over the area. I have yet to see them in or on the hutches or other rabbit equipment. I hope they aren't a problem.... haven't seen them for a while. They were alive but pretty sluggish.

The red thing is a hand shovel.
uTvI6IB.jpg

KA6jXWr.jpg

One flipped over:
5rAYpcd.jpg

My thumb for comparing size:
V8udm32.jpg

Looks like some sort of caterpillar as no other insect has those big eyes and sucker feet, and not harmful to your rabbits.

Cutworm caterpillars will hide in soil and come out at night to feed but they are strict plant eaters :shrug:

Might e mail a pic to your local farm extension agent. Bet they could figure it out.

A destructive moth caterpillar getting ready to hibernate and pupate. I forget exactly what they are. Not rabbit harmful.

alforddm":23e7xclt said:
My first though was solider fly larva but they don't look right.

That was my first thought as well, but I googled Black Soldier Fly Larvae, and these are different.

I think they are some type of "grub" which will pupate into a beetle of some sort.

Latest posts

Back