Hollands

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZachsRabbits

Reaction score
How much does a Holland bud and a ''parts'' buck generally run you? I not looking to break the bank on a trio of Holland's but I don't want to have complete ''junk'' either. I love some splash of color too . :)

Nice, pet quality Hollands will run $45-$55 here. That's without pedigree. I think area makes a big difference too:)

Interesting. BC Hollands are $80-$150 w pedigree. Granted our dollar is worth less (lol autocorrect wanted to say worthless)

Depends entirely on what you want and who breeds them. Do you want a fancy, well bred Holland, or do you want Hollands just to have Hollands because you absolutely adore the breed, like I did? lol.

I've seen well bred ones for up to 100$-300$ here, but they're always pretty boring IMO, torts and black selfs. Seems as though people prefer to breed them in solid colors. I've seen pet quality Hollands for anywhere from 10$-50$

Me personally, I sell mine for 20$, no where near what I *could* get for them, but people are notoriously snippy when it comes to getting what they want and expecting to get it cheap, especially when I make people come pick them up.

I got my pair of Hollands last year for 60$ for the both of them, no pedigree though. They're both Harlequin colored, they're alos *very* pet quality. They both weigh about 2-3lbs more than the breed is supposed to and they'd just get laughed at if I ever tried to show them :cry: But they've got wonderful personalities, despite my buck being a little highstrung, but I've never been bitten or growled at and for that, I'm glad, especially since I always here about the more fancy rabbits being snarky and bitey.

I'm also, if things pan out, might be getting a charlie orange Holland when it's old enough (it's only about a week old now lol) and I'll be getting that one for 10$ But the breeder is supposed to keep me updated, so I will be keeping an eye on the baby as it grows and see how it turns out.

A decent trio that is going to be competitive is going to be over 500. Parts that fit or look to go together well around 250 to 300, from a decent line. Sometimes you can get good parts animals for 50, but you want the best buck you can afford and then part does with hollands. Having or getting them in your area can be just as if not more than rabbits themselves, here there is no quality unless you luck out and one of the established breeders have some parts. I also live within 8 hrs of several large show breeders, so by what I've seen competition wise in the area is much stronger than others. It is true tort and black are best typed, most worked on. If you want something more colorful going to pay more for less in type in general. For example, a brood tri that would be petted out if was tory will run 50 to 75. See it a great deal...

Here Hollands are generally around $20-$30. Price is definitely down lately...can't get $30 anymore. That's generally selling as pets. Folks don't really breed Hollands competitively around here.
Now, south of me about 3 hours, PET ( real pet quality at that) Hollands are $60+. Breeding stock is around $100.

So, the area you're in really is what will price your rabbits :)

We just sold out of our Hollands as we weren't comfortable with breeding pets, and the show Hollands are pretty stiff competition in this part of Ontario, it seems. They were more work kindling than all my meat rabbits together. LOL

What about them makes them harder with kindling? Just curious because all I have are Hollands so I don't know any different:)

My Holland doe is a fertile Myrtle lol. She's taken every time she's been paired and she's never had an issue giving birth. If that's what they mean. All rabbits are different though.

I heard lots about hollands being hard to breed, so was kinda iffy, expecting to get frustrated, but nope. First breeding, babies 31 days later. 2nd breeding, babies 31 days later, so I was happy lol. This last litter, she went a little over, kindled on I believe, day 34, but all was right with the world.

I know that there are generalizations about the difficulty of breeding and birthing for dwarfs.
But I'm only speaking from my experience, not meaning to suggest anything wider :)

For me having a doe lose kits twice in a row at birth and then have to cull a singleton for overeating until splayed. Her second litter had two survivors (both litters had two kits) and she was well on her way to feeding them to death as well, so I had to intervene and manage feedings for basically the whole first month. Simultaneously I had two young mutt does kindle 12 each on their first litters and do just fine. The two Holland kits have been more work than the other 33 kits put together.

That just doesn't work for me LOL and I was worried about cold hardiness for winter, so it was time to move on :)

My breeder friend has an "h" of a time breeding Hollands. They don't take. Disinterested doe. They take and don't kindle. Reabsorbtion. Lots of peanuts. Dead stretched babies. Dying 2-3 week olds. Terrible or overcompensating moms. You name it, she's having it. 50% or less success.

I have my first two litters due so we'll see.

If you are serious about raising and showing a competitive breed like Hollands it is far better to start out with a quality trio from a well respected breeder. You can find cheap rabbits ($20-$50 range) but you will have far better luck with a nice trio. Two years in I am just now where I would have liked to be when I started out, I bought several inexpensive rabbits and sold pets in order to upgrade my breeding stock because I didn't have the finances to be spending a lot on a rabbit outright but this has been slow going, there have been rabbits I have really regretted buying too as there is definitely a learning curve and some people are less than honest and honorable. In my area I have found brood quality from $50. to $100. and my nicest have been in the $200. to $350. range. It seems like a lot of money for a bunny but you have far better results breeding a good quality bunny with carefully chosen genetics over fighting with crappy genetics.

I suggest you forget about color, there is a lot to learn on type first and it is very difficult to get nicely typed rabbits in the unusual colors. Get a nice breeding program down with well put together rabbits first and add in color down the road, much less frustrating because many of the fancy colours are such poor type. Take your time choosing breeding stock, some lines work better together, study the breed standard and try to find breeders who you think are breeding wonderful rabbits.

Latest posts

Back