nest box adaptation

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
We're expecting our last litter for this year on Tuesday--just put the nest box in yesterday. In the spring when the temps were still pretty low when the early litters were born, we had trouble with the first kits to get out of the nest box having trouble getting back in. Tried Maggie's suggestion of providing a step outside the box but our kits seem to be not as smart as hers or something and didn't use it. So some mornings we'd find a kit out and alone in a corner. We tried taking the nest box out so at least they'd all be together and didn't lose any but noticed that they stayed huddled together in a corner most of the time. It wasn't so much of a problem during the warm summer months but it's apt to be chilly at night here by the time these kits start coming out. So we adapted the nest box, cutting the front board in half and fastening the top half with screws so we can just take it off when they start coming out. I hoped that would be enough barrier to keep the nest material in but low enough so the wanderers could return readily. Just wanted to check if this seems reasonable or if there is some reason not to do it that hasn't occurred to us.

Sounds like a great idea. I've had the same problem with kits: "I've fallen and I can't get up" ;)

I placed a rock in front of the nest box in Tartar's cage. The little ones are getting out and then piling up in a corner. Hope they use it, if not I'm going to have to rethink my boxes. Maybe a barn door affect with a latch. That way the front doors can be closed when the litter is small and then when they start leaving the nest and can't get back in the doors can be left open for easy enter and exit. :?

wamplercathy":16hr46v3 said:
I placed a rock in front of the nest box in Tartar's cage. The little ones are getting out and then piling up in a corner. Hope they use it, if not I'm going to have to rethink my boxes. Maybe a barn door affect with a latch. That way the front doors can be closed when the litter is small and then when they start leaving the nest and can't get back in the doors can be left open for easy enter and exit. :?

We thought of having a front that could open after the first couple weeks but thought that if it was moveable somebunny might get caught in it somehow. So even though it is less convenient to have a piece that has to be unscrewed and removed we hoped it would be safer.

-- Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:52 am --

I have the BASS Saninests which have a hinged front, so it can be opened once the kits start leaving the nest. The problem is the bedding also tends to leave the nest, lol.

So I modified mine by putting 4" of cage wire across the front and zip-tying a piece of plastic wallboard to the wire to contain the bedding.

I haven't gotten around to it yet, but am considering cutting down the door flap and attaching it to the scabbed in piece of wire so the door will act as a ramp.

You could do something similar with the wooden box by hinging the front.

Here is a pic of one of my modified boxes:

IMG_8052.JPG

Back