I'm having some trouble....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar Point Rabbitry

Reaction score
I have a litter of Holland Lops all does. 2 Broken Blacks, 1 charlie black tort.
None of them are absolutely stunning, but they're fairly nice. I don't know if I should keep the two best ones and see how they grow or just sell all of them. I don't really have cage room to keep them and see how they grow, but I don't want to sell what might be a good brood doe.
BUT, I also have two litters coming that I'm hoping to have some good buns in....AND I have a young buck that is stunning (I won't keep him, but will redo the breeding and hope for a gorgeous doe)

So, what would you do? I'm not keen on keeping dark, dominant colored rabbits around either.

I keep thinking I will just sell them all...until I go out and look at them and they're all waiting for me to give them a pet :D Boy they make it hard!

How old is the current litter and when are the next ones due?

I'm assuming that you will be selling them as pets primarily? If so, you don't want to keep the current ones too long since people prefer baby rabbits, but you never know if the ones that aren't born yet will even survive... so if you really need a replacement doe, you might want to hold back one of them.

However, you said you don't really want dominant colored rabbits and that these are "fairly nice but not stunning"- so I would be inclined to sell them all and hope for nicer does out of the next litters.

They are about 7 weeks old. With my lines, I can tell at about 4-5 weeks what they'll turn out to be. After that they start the uglies.
The next ones are due any day now. They'll hopefully be harlequins/tris. And the one doe is my black girl Aliya, who I really like.
I sell primarily as pets, but finally getting into breeding stock :D So yeah, I need to decide within a week here.

With limited space and older breeding stock that you ARE happy with, I'd let these ones go.
See what the next litters produce, and/or try again to get what you want more of.

Back