Female Rabbit -- Spayed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorelai1448

Reaction score
I've been told by my vet for health reasons I need to get my female rabbit spayed since she's been having some false pregnancies. These could lead to more serious problems and also I know the risk of female rabbits getting uterine cancer. The breeder I bought her from was pretty adamant on not getting her spayed due to the risk of the surgery and rabbits being more stressed out than other animals. Can anyone give me some sort of peace of mind on this? I know I need to get her spayed to remove the risk of other health issues. But I'm so afraid something will happen to her during surgery.

It is risky but so is leaving it and letting her get cancer or suffer through the hormonal swings or ovarian cysts

The best you can do is find a vet who has done a few successful rabbit spays and/or specializes in spaying small breed dogs, puppies or kittens. My sister drove 2 hours to take her chihuahua to a toy breed surgeon

I don't have any new advice about this situation, but it got me wondering. I always hear about the increased risks of ovarian cancer in Does. Does anyone know what the risks are for the ones that are bred consistently? Do their chances go down or stay the same? Just curious. Usually when I hear conversations about this it's all about Does who aren't part of a breeding program....

I know a spay is a bit more invasive but I've had several bucks neutered before going to homes. Never had a problem. None suffered from the anesthesia, their appetite remained fine, and they healed fairly quickly. I've also had a few guinea pigs neutered which are tinier to work with and it all went perfect. It can be stressful and there is always a risk of death with surgery but if there's a potential health problem I see no reason to avoid it just because of the surgery risk.

Uterine and ovarian cancers seems to be quite rare in bred rabbits.

My understanding is that the parts were meant to be used, and not breeding them actually increases the cancer risk? Something along those lines...

So, an unbred pet would theoretically be at greater risk for cancer than a brood doe. This makes many breeders kind of laugh at the cancer statistics, since most never see it and it's supposed to be SO common...

But I think, a pet rabbit is just a different story.

If you can use the vet that your local rabbit rescue use for their spays you'll likely have a experienced rabbit vet. Getting fixed is probably more stressful on the human than the rabbit. The rabbit doesn't know any thing when it's under and with pain meds should not be uncomfortable afterwards.

Zass":20q84h5a said:
Uterine and ovarian cancers seems to be quite rare in bred rabbits.

My understanding is that the parts were meant to be used, and not breeding them actually increases the cancer risk? Something along those lines...

So, an unbred pet would theoretically be at greater risk for cancer than a brood doe. This makes many breeders kind of laugh at the cancer statistics, since most never see it and it's supposed to be SO common...

But I think, a pet rabbit is just a different story.

I have to wonder if this isn't a myth thrown out there by unscrupulous vets to get people to spend money they wouldn't otherwise & don't need to .....

Biggest reason I have this thought is that , the parts are not removed in the process .... they are still there , not being used & the potential for cancerous cells to appear is right there with them .... its not like they are giving the rabbit a hysterectomy or removing the ovaries & fallopian tubes.

I have no scientific information to back up this theory with ..... but it seems like common sense to me.

I think, in rabbits everything is removed in a normal spay surgery.

From medirabbit:
Female reproductive tract and ovariohysterectomy
(spay surgery)

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_di ... il_en.html
An ovariohysterectomy (spay) is the surgical removal of the female reproductive organs. The operation removes the two ovaries, the uterine horns and the body of the uterus.

Zass":1dv2or34 said:
I think, in rabbits everything is removed in a normal spay surgery.

From medirabbit:
Female reproductive tract and ovariohysterectomy
(spay surgery)

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_di ... il_en.html
An ovariohysterectomy (spay) is the surgical removal of the female reproductive organs. The operation removes the two ovaries, the uterine horns and the body of the uterus.

Well .... obviously I don't know what I'm talking about .... :)

Aint the first time , wont be the last.

If you go to a house rabbit society vet (if you have one near you), they have something like a 1% death rate. Which is pretty good.

I don't support HRS, but.. They do have the most experience with spaying / neutering rabbits, keeping them indoors, litter training etc. if you want a house rabbit. Just ignore the crap they say about breeding or eating rabbits.

If she's having false pregnancies yes I'd get her spayed. Go to a vet whose done multiple ones and ask them their survival rate

Back