Newbie cage question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookie

Reaction score
We are getting a baby bunny in another 4 weeks. It is a holland lop. I bought this cage with dimensions: Dimensions: 19"L x 41"W x 24"H.

It looks like this:
http://m.petsmart.com/h5/hub?id=%2FWFS% ... DA7E3F1BD4

Any opinions? I don't have the kind of house that will allow me to set up a corner with a diy cage. Bunny will likely go in daughters small room.

What size corner/triangle litter pan do I need?

Do I need the paper bedding? Is a little fleece blanket better to line the cage? Or Is it better to just keep the plastic bottom bare?

Thanks for your help!

cookie":3lq9zbec said:
What size corner/triangle litter pan do I need?

I didn't know that they came in different sizes. :? I used to have one that was sized for ferrets and I think that would be a good size for such a small rabbit.

Do I need the paper bedding? Is a little fleece blanket better to line the cage?

Paper bedding is fine, or you can use pine shavings or pine pellets. The pine pellets do create a lot of dust once they have soaked up urine, though.

I have seen setups on FaceBook "pet rabbit" groups where they use fleece blankets, but I don't know how safe that would be. Fabric is notorious for causing impactions in animals (when I worked in veterinary hospitals it was usually socks and underwear in dogs and hair scrunchies in cats), so I would be very hesitant to have anything like that in a rabbit cage.

Additionally, rabbits like to dig at things and I think the blanket would just end up in a wad at one end of the cage.

Perhaps a piece of carpeting would work? The fibers are short enough that they likely would pass through the gut without issue.

Or Is it better to just keep the plastic bottom bare?

No- there wont be enough traction. If it gets spooked it could easily break its back.

Looks like a cute set up, and it should be enough room for the bunny especially if you are planning to exercise it some too:). I also found some round pet play pen type round cages that I plan to get (they are on Amazon from $39 and up......) to use on kitchen floor or outdoors. Your indoor rabbits will leave dropping around the house when being let out even if they are litter box trained, so at our house will either set up a portable round pen to keep that contained or just follow them around with a paper towel
too.....

I tried indoors but can't spend all the time required to manage waste. So I keep them outdoors. I prefer wire bottom so they won't have to deal with their waste. Holland lops have big wide feet so wire bottoms would not be a problem.

Back