Air travel with bunny

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookie

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm looking at various pet carriers to travel with bunny. I want one that is airline approved to go under seats. Some really nice ones out there! But then I was thinking about a cage once at the destination. I don't know if the fleece bottom carriers would be good . Could I keep a bunny in those carriers for 1-2 weeks as their temporary cage? Or would it be better to get a travel crate?

(The soft ones ;like Sherpa brand and similar are so much cuter!)

Thanks!!

Sorry, can't help with carriers.

But you sure think it wouldn't be better to find someone to care for the bunny while you are away?

Rabbits are easily stressed, unlike dogs or even cats they handle travelling not so easy. Stress can cause their immune system to break down, apart from risking exposing the bunny to pathogenes.

Most rabbits sitting quiet and placid in a carrier aren't relaxed, but almost scared to death.

I don't know much about pet breeds. It may be possible, and sure some rabbits can cope with that, but anyway, I wouldn't advise taking a rabbit on trips.

My opinion is that it's much better for everyone to pay someone to come to your house once a day and care for them while you are gone. We put in an extra water bottle when we are away, since someone only comes and checks once, just in case the normal water bottle gets tipped off the wire or knocked off the cage . Other than that it's business as usual. Feed and hay and fresh water once a day, and litter plan empty and refilled with fresh pine once a day. I don't make my pet sitters do a through cage cleaning, but I do that once we get back. All if this is because they don't travel well, and as much as I would love to have them with me I ulimtatly need to do what's best for them, which is staying in their normal environment happy and healthy:)

Good input - thank you. Pet store guy suggested taking with (we travel frequently- 10+ day trips). This is good feedback to think about. Maybe have to find someone at home to help.

I agree that it is much better to leave the rabbit at home.

I do a lot of showing, sometimes out of state. It is very hard to keep rabbits in condition even if gone only for a few days because they don't eat well when stressed. I always offer them hay, grain mix with dried parsley (appetite stimulant) Manna Pro (which is very palatable and high energy), as well as pellets and many still usually lose some weight.

When I went to the Convention in Texas we were gone for over a week and it was a ton of work keeping everyone eating, even with additional treats like dried apple, papaya, and banana. I had to give extra parsley as a top dressing to quite a few rabbits to get them to eat. Some would only eat hay.

cookie":1j1w3kvj said:
I don't know if the fleece bottom carriers would be good.

It would likely chew it.

Back