multi doe nest update

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
The nest(s) are now elongated down the tunnel. At first, the kits were in normal "balls" I suppose you could call it. MASS of kits. Now, the does have sort of separated the mass into a long er, tube. There are obvious "pocket nests" in this long section. The ones at the very furthest back is dug WAY down into straw and fur. The other two areas are just laying pretty much on top of the fur. (it's indoors and the room was quite warm yesterday)

What's odd is that the kits are mixed around in the nests. The first day I could identify CB's kits as very big. They were all in the same nest, way at the back. Now, 2 of those kits are in the middle nest, the other 3 are in the back, along with 2 that are FLB's kits. Vienna's (she kindled last, 3 tiny guys) are still at the front, along with 2 larger (but not tubby) siblings.

It may be coincidence, but the nests seem to be distributed well. Everyone I looked at yesterday had full tummies. Even Vienna's runt had a pudgy tummy. Thinking on it, the does may have moved the kits into this long narrow ribbon because they couldn't get to the back kits without stepping on the others? This is really easy for them to move around in. Kind of like the way you drive your car into an oil change garage...just drive with the tires along the tracks and the oil change guy is in a pit underneath.

I'll try to get a picture later today

As long as everybody is getting fed and no one is getting hurt, I would let the does do their own thing. They seem to have it worked out very well. I think it is pretty amazing how they cooperate and respect each other. :goodjob:

The does have figured out a way to keep the popples inside and NOT get dragged out...they've stuffed the entrance full of straw :lol: I'd say it was to keep predators out..but, um..there AREN'T any predators. They've built it up so that you (meaning the doe) has to climb a hill to get inside and then slide down to the popples. The nest of kits has been creeping more toward the entrance, and I'm pretty sure this is to stop that.

I'm amazed at how the kits keep getting fed. I'll go in and look for babies, and will only see a few. I have to dig down..WAY down to find them. And they're all fat and squiggly. Very interesting watching this group.

Poor LS (the young doe) :( she gets pushed around by the other three...not picked on, but she certainly is low man on the totem pole! She can eat and drink...but NOT from the same pile of feed as the others. She CAN eat hay with them, but when she came over for dandelions and grass this morning, all CB had to do was give her "the look" and she scuttled back to the other side of the room. :rotfl: So I gave her a nice pile of her own which made everyone happy. I suspect that one day LS is going to figure out that she's a good 2lbs bigger than CB, and a LOT longer (she's showing more French than English now). gorgeous shiny silver guard hairs.

__________ Mon May 03, 2010 8:55 pm __________

As promised, I uploaded a couple of pictures into the Gallery under Nestbox. http://rabbittalk.com/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=3&image_id=171

Also a few in my photobucket account (which might be easier on the dial-up) http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u130/anntanns/Rabbits/popples04_28_2010/

__________ Wed May 05, 2010 3:19 pm __________

And now we have a single BIG round nest again. Everyone crammed into this ball :D I had taken about half of the pile of straw/bedding out of the tunnel entrance the other day because I thought maybe they'd covered up some kits. All was well, AND it gave the does something to do for the next few hours...putting back all the straw!

The runt kit is still hanging in there. He's growing bone wise, like everyone, but WOW is he skinny...although..his ribs don't show, and he's not looking dehydrated at all. I'm totally confused by this kit. He's obviously getting something to drink. I caught up Vienna and flipped her over on my lap. Put him down on here and he went right to a nipple and sucked for all he was worth. He managed to get maybe a tsp before he tired out. (and vienna was all squirmy so I didn't push it) I put him back in the crib and went over to buy some kitten milk. I'll give him a few feedings and see how it goes.

The does are REALLY unhappy with me when I open the nestbox. I get "the look" from CB and even FLB comes over...she'll go inside the tunnel and poke her head up thru the door into my face like "get OUT!" No ears laid back or anything, but it's a definite "go away" :)

OHOHOH!!! almost forgot. One of the "black" kits is a gorgeous dark chocolate brown! :up: Happy days!

Dark Chocolate Bunny looks like a huge truffle this morning. He just got fed when I looked in and he's...ROUND. barely able to reach the ground with his feet! :eek: (and no...doesn't seem bloated...just full)

We had a pleasant surprise this morning when we went up to feed the little runt. Last night we'd caught up Vienna again and flipped her over. She had 2 REALLY full teats, so I grabbed the runt and he just went to town on them. He sucked until he was full and tired. I put him back in bed and he just wriggled down into the pile. Vienna, unhappy bunny, got some treats. :)

We went up this morning to feed him again, and low and behold...he had a round tummy! :rock: AND he was not really interested in the nice teat he was offered. :D Now if I can just keep him going. He's easily less than 1/2 the size of the others. Even her 2 littermates are quite a bit bigger. Compared to CB's kits he's a dwarf! :lol:

Sometimes the runts can amaze you with their ability to bounce back from a bad start. And they always seem to have such engaging personalities. Sounds like your Runt may do okay after all, Ann! Sure hope so! :)

Runt had a problem yesterday...It fell, or rather was KICKED off of Vienna. WOW. Poor bunny. He flew up in the air like a ball and landed down on the floor. SMACK. :cry: I thought he was a goner. He was just stretching out like in death throws, but after a few minutes he curled up...kept itching his head with a hind foot lightly..I'm guessing one hell of a headache.

Anyway...he's still around today, had some milk apparently from one of the moms. He's staying nestled fairly near the top of the pile of bunnies.

OH! another change in the makeup of the nest tunnel. Now, there are three distinct nests again. One buried way back on the far end (huge huge popples). One nest in the center with mixed sizes. And a third nest up near the entrance - 2 medium sized, 1 humongous, and 1 small(vienna's largest) 2 of the front nest were out in the middle of the colony earlier. Super cold, but still moving some. after getting them back in the nest, they're fine again.

Man. Having this many all at once is HARD on the nerves! :x I'm a wreck!

how old are they now?
1 of my four was in with Dustbunny this evening - ACK ....
little monsters are wayyyyy too mobile for being 2 weeks old - freaking adorable but I find four a headache let alone 15 :)

2 weeks tomorrow (Tuesday the 11th). Eyes are just starting to squeeze open. Most of them are humongous. I think once the eyes open up, I'll have to dig out the opening of the tunnel so they can get back in more easily. In a week I suspect I'll be completely nuts with all these critters underfoot. I'm already seeing a slightly panicked look in Chocolate Bunny's eyes...she knows what's about to happen. FLB is just...resigned.

I guess it's time to break down and buy a tattoo pen so I can keep track of who's who and where and....oh bother.

Oh, Ann... You've got your hands full now! :D

Actually, the kits will be a lot more fun once they are out and about. Have you got some "safe" resting places for the does so they don't get mobbed all the time?

safe...well, depends on the definition, I suppose. :hmm: They can hop up onto the tub (one of the favorite places) which is 20 inches up. The tops of the tunnels are 12inches high, and at least for the first week or so the popples won't be able to get up there. I suspect poor LS (young doe) will be in deep trouble since she's not ALLOWED on top of the tunnels :lol:

Saw the first of the explorers peeking out today. :shock: eyes mostly open, peering out. The does have opened the tunnel, too, interestingly. I'm kind of hoping the 3 vienna popples are opening eyes and can start to eat pellets and grains, but they're about 2 days behind the others. Hope the mommas don't forget about them :cry:

MAN some of those kits are FAT little tubs. They look kind of like unsmoked sausages. all squishy and bulgy :D<br /><br />__________ Tue May 18, 2010 8:04 am __________<br /><br />Well, the kits are now roaming around all over the place, but they still go back into the nest when they're tired. Although one day they got scared (the big person came into the colony) and all but ONE ran into the wrong tunnel. :lol: They were in with the virgin doe and she was NOT happy about it. She didn't DO anything but when I opened up the lid she was looking up at me and then glanced over to pile of kits like "WHO are these? "

They also spend a lot of time behind the tupperware tub, and between the wall and the litterbox. :roll: JUST enough room for them to go through the nice little tunnel. I suppose it feels all cave like and safe.

my guys - who are much the same age now I think - spend very little time in the nest box if any - but they do snuggle with a buddy tucked in alongside firm edges and in boxes .. they are quite adorable .. and so very different to the last gang

yah yah yah

time - somebody give me time and then I'll get your stinking pictures

this is a NUTSO time of year in every direction for me

COME ON JULY!!!!!!

I remember being a student end of year. In HighSchool I was "friends" with a couple of our teachers (small town) and I tell ya what..even the ART teacher was stressed out at the end of the year.<br /><br />__________ Mon May 24, 2010 4:14 pm __________<br /><br />Boy howdy...why don't I have a camera when I need it? It's hot and got quite humid overnight. Peter, mama and kits, and <has no name girl NZ> are all stretched out on the cage floor..getting cool air blown up their bellies. That's good. ... (they're directly over the air flow in the room)

The angoras, on the other hand, are stretched out on any available empty surface. Draped over the clay flue tile. stretched on the 2x4 shelves. flat out in the empty (they tipped it out) litter box which WAS full of fresh shavings. Laying out behind the waterers. The kits are lined up along the 2x4s that frame the fencing.

when I walked in, I thought they were all dead. :eek: no movement. No scurrying away. Then a couple of eyes opened and I noticed that they were breathing. PHEW. And one lone kit, sitting in the middle of a feeder. Fast asleep.

Oh man - don't shoot - I'm sorry for bumping a 6 year old thread! AnnTan - can you pretty please post pics of your nesting tunnel?

Latest posts

Back