I'm intrigued...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last night I was rubbing down my NZW buck to help get some of his loose coat off. I grabbed some of the loose chunks and thought, hmmm... I wonder...??? I twisted it between my fingers and actually got it to stay together! I twisted about 6 inches worth, but as soon as I let up on pressure it would fall apart, I guess because of the nature of the hair.

It was kind of peaceful though... something that I found a bit fascinating as well. I really don't need another hobby, but it would kind of go together with my current fabric yarn hobbies... right?

I know some of the basics, but not sure of the details. I know you gather the raw materials, and with sheep and other livestock animals you have to clean it. Is that the case with rabbits also? Then comb/card (?) it. I have seen both a spinning wheel and and a drop spindle. Then you take the spun product that is single ply, and twist it back on it's self for actual yarn.

I know that is bare bones basic, but what else goes into the process? How do you actually get the long continuous multi-strand yarns?

What else can you do with the raw material?

I apologize for the total newbie questions, but figured someone here could start pointing me in the right direction.

Hi Heritage! I've done a little spinning of rabbit wool, so I'll see if I can be of any help to you. :)

heritage":3vog1mqk said:
I know some of the basics, but not sure of the details. I know you gather the raw materials, and with sheep and other livestock animals you have to clean it. Is that the case with rabbits also? Then comb/card (?) it. I have seen both a spinning wheel and and a drop spindle. Then you take the spun product that is single ply, and twist it back on it's self for actual yarn.

Nope, you don't have to clean rabbit wool. I have really only ever heard of people spinning angora or jersey wooly wool, and I've tried both. Angora is easier, and you can spin right off the rabbit, if that makes sense. JW wool is a little different, but is also nice to spin, IMO. You don't need to comb or card, I don't think, with rabbit either.

You can start with a drop spindle first and see if you like it. It is quite relaxing! The way I've seen the plying done is to twist different plies together, if that makes sense. I haven't done this myself, though.

heritage":3vog1mqk said:
I know that is bare bones basic, but what else goes into the process? How do you actually get the long continuous multi-strand yarns?

What else can you do with the raw material?

I apologize for the total newbie questions, but figured someone here could start pointing me in the right direction.

I am not sure about the rest of the answers to your questions, because I'm a total newb too. ;-)

Okay now I am intrigued! I did give it some thought a while age before I had seen this post, but like you I have far too many hobbies going on right now, BUT if it something that is TOO difficult to do, I would love to give it a try.

First I do know that I would need the proper breed to be able to do this, but what else does it take?

HansenHomestead":hez3ocfh said:
Okay now I am intrigued! I did give it some thought a while age before I had seen this post, but like you I have far too many hobbies going on right now, BUT if it something that is TOO difficult to do, I would love to give it a try.

First I do know that I would need the proper breed to be able to do this, but what else does it take?

I havnt yet wet felted but my kids and I needle felt quite often. So far I have used "normal" coated rabbit fur for things like eyes or a color overlay but not anything solid. Our French Angora bucks fur though mats up into solid pieces so should wet felt great :roll: but shall most likely use it for needle felting too.

So far I havnt found any fiber art that isnt super fun so try any and all of them that strike your interest bone. :D

Latest posts

Back