Is Lilac safe for rabbits to eat (google isn't helping me !)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOWsMom

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I can't find any info one way or the other on whether or not lilac is safe for rabbits.

We have a Lilac tree in the yard - just the general lilac you find all over the place here - Syringa Vulgaris - with the purple flowers in May.

Leaves ?

Branches ?

We had a discussion about lilac quite some time ago. The consensus seemed to be that it is not toxic but is so unpalatable to rabbits that they won't eat it. I don't think I can recall a single case of a rabbit that would eat lilac.

If you want to do a search within this site, you will find the word lilac will include all the threads about lilac-coloured rabbits. Not helpful. Try lilac tree or lilac bush instead.

Willow, poplar, mulberry, apple and pear leaves and twigs are all popular with most rabbits.

There are three things to consider when feeding fresh foods to rabbits:
Is it safe?
Is it palatable?
Is it nutritious?

It's only if I get a yes to all three that it goes on my list of plants to feed.

The wild bunnies here go crazy over lilac bush and tree bark. They don't so much touch the flowers themselves, but man do they destroy my trees and bushes by eating the bark.

We have seen George eat the fallen leaves when he's out in the backyard. No harmful effects from it - and he's doing it willingly, since there is lots of other stuff out there for him (grass, marigold, maple leaves, etc)

Back