Judging the head on a rex buck

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueHaven

Reaction score
My does, have such pretty delicate faces. Almost deer like in their shape.

I am looking to buy a buck. While this bucks body is pretty nice, his head looks almost convex. It bows out giving the impression of almost a bull. I have seen several heads like this, and it tends to be in a given line that is pretty popular.
I have no idea if the male head just looks chunkier, or if a more (in horses at least) roman or convex face is common. I almost worry about a doe passing the head of these kits. So is this a good big masculine head or ?
Its hard to judge heads on these rabbits as when people post pictures the owners usually have their hands over the bucks head. :?:

I love your deer description! Bang on!
I would say my rex buck's head is *less* meaty than my other bucks... but I think it is just the trick of the eye because of the fur.
But he is definitely masculine.
I wouldn't worry about kindling... they aren't born with giant adult heads ;) ~ with my other bucks, they didn't begin to get really masculine looking until about 6 months or later, until then, they had similar immature heads to the does.

Just as in other animals, you want the heads on bucks to look masculine (big cheeks like a Tomcat or stallion) and the does to have a more refined and delicate shape.

You should be able to tell at a glance what sex the rabbit is just by looking at the head.

Thanks, I think I found a good buck for me then. I was just not so sure until I
really started researching his lines and his relations. Your comments have tipped
the scale in his favor. Hoping I can get him at the next show. :cool:

Latest posts

Back