Thoughts on progress...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crookdbeak13

Reaction score
I posted these pictures to my weights thread, but had no response so I thought I would make a new thread!
These are the "Rex" that I bought a few weeks ago....I know they are either poorly bred or a cross somewhere in their lineage, past the 3 gen pedigree they came with. They are only going to be meat producers, but that doesn't mean I don't need someone that knows the breed better than I for evaluation...They are not posed properly in the pictures, I am still learning and so are they!

Doe#1
1UHZ6h7.jpg

ZyaEWTQ.jpg

liMAdyz.jpg

Doe#2
SqOIUDX.jpg

FyP7enY.jpg

kwAqoUP.jpg

Buck
ddFjVjo.jpg

Amra3oS.jpg

0GRV3Ym.jpg

I actually kinda like the booted castor. She looks like she might be a little long in the shoulder or a Rex but she is nice and round through the loin and hips. Next I comes the broken black and then the broken castor. Both of these look like they have less fullness through the hips and loins. It could partly be camera angle and poising though.

The first two look very long in the shoulder .... the last one looks like it may have pinched hips.

How old are they ?? Kinda small for anything approaching adult age.

They are not quite 5 months yet. The smallest is 3.66lbs(Doe, Broken Castor) 4.03lbs (Doe, Broken Black Otter) and 4.9lbs (Buck, Booted Castor). I thought the 2 does looked a bit long but the Booted Castor was difficult to judge because I couldn't get him to sit still and pose up correctly. The Does aren't perfectly posed either, but he kept kicking his feet out and trying to run from me! I have handled them a bit since I got them, but haven't worked on posing them yet. It's a learning curve for me and them! I appreciate all reviews! Keep 'em coming!

They are a bit small for their age which is a typical issue with Rex , they often have trouble making weight (8+lbs).
Possible someone bred the rex coat of a mini-rex to something else ... giving the small size from the mini rex and the visible guard hairs from whatever the cross was.

We had a recent discussion on the subject here -

breeding-up-from-mini-to-standard-in-rex-t26263.html

They are small, I had actually asked about that recently, http://rabbittalk.com/post282963.html#p282963 and Dood said that per SOP they should be 4-8.5lbs, so with that, only the Broken Castor doesn't make minimal weight....I am working on putting on some weight slowly, as I don't want to upset their GI tract. The person I got them from fed a home mixed grain and NO pellets...I have them converted to pellets and still get their hay and veggies and such. Weight will come with time, and hopefully with hard culling I can work on better quality once I am ready to add more into my herd!

crookdbeak13":2t3rr6cl said:
They are small, I had actually asked about that recently, http://rabbittalk.com/post282963.html#p282963 and Dood said that per SOP they should be 4-8.5lbs, so with that, only the Broken Castor doesn't make minimal weight....I am working on putting on some weight slowly, as I don't want to upset their GI tract. The person I got them from fed a home mixed grain and NO pellets...I have them converted to pellets and still get their hay and veggies and such. Weight will come with time, and hopefully with hard culling I can work on better quality once I am ready to add more into my herd!

Sr weights are 7.5-9.5 for bucks and 8-10.5 for does.

Juniors (under six months) do have a minimum weight requirement of 4lbs which leaves a long way to go to reach Sr weights. This is a very common issue in the breed tho.

That no pellet diet may be a big factor in their development .... Good luck getting weight on them. Keep us posted on the results.

I'd post some pics of mine .... but every one of them is in full blown molt right now and they look hideous!

Keep the best , eat the rest!

That is exactly the plan Ramjet! They will fill my freezer no matter what! I also believe the no pellet diet had a lot to do with it! Until I weighed them, I was almost sure they were mixed with mini rex somewhere! LOL I think with a little more time they can at least make 6lbers! It will take time! I like the evaluations and recommendations from you guys that is why I posted here and not FB! Keep 'em coming!

The booted caster gets the win for meat production.
The black and white not near as good,
the second one has no depth or width, and if it did not make senior weight
by six months, I might cull that one.
Still, you can work with what you have, and just keep your largest babies for production.
We all have to start with what we can get at the time, just keep tweeking as you go.
Best of luck to you.

I know we've talked quite a bit about poor coats on rez crosses and I thought I'd throw this out there. Not all crosses have poor coats. I have a rex cross doe that has rex fur. She's not one that I bred I bought her locally. Her dam is supposed to be 1/2 standard rex and 1/2 american blue and her sire was a mini rex. She weighs probably 6lbs give or take a bit. She has good fur. Not great but good. It could stand to be a little denser but you still get a hand print if you press down on it. No extraneous guard hairs at all.

Now her type is another matter. She is quite long in the shoulder (american blue) but has pretty meaty hind quarters.

Back