Register

Questions and comments about plant safety for rabbits.

Provide a well rounded diet without commercial feed, including discussions of the methods and merits of growing fodder.
1 year of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 1,772.00

Re: Questions and comments about plant safety for rabbits.

Post Number:#196  Unread postby lereg15 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:07 pm

the reluctant farmer wrote:I don't think so. The plantains I see, including plantago virginica, have...lines..like fibers inside of the leaves..running the length of the leaves. Sometimes they're spade-shaped leaves, sometimes rounded, but they always seem to have this thick, smoothish texture with the fibers running the length of the leaves. If you tear a leaf, you'll feel
lrPlantago_virginica7.jpg
the "strings". I've attached a picture from the web & will take one if I get a chance from my yard. Whatever it is that you have, I hope the groundskeeper ID's it, because I have it, too!

Thanks!! I hope he does too, but another guy said possibly plaintains too. I can always take one to the golf course, head maintenance guy too, if the guy never answers me back!

__________ Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:07 pm __________

michaels4gardens wrote:Shepherd's purse starts out looking kind of like that, but i think the leaf edges are kind of jagged, -or maybe- Hawkweed, - [is edible]

The hawkweed looks like the plants I was talking about in Fl.
Greg

1 year of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 12,899.00

Post Number:#197  Unread postby Susie570 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:18 pm

Mini Lops!!
If you love Lop Rabbits, come visit the Lop Rabbit forum at http://LopRabbitsUSA.com! See ya there!

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 7,885.00

Post Number:#198  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:07 am

Syberchick70 wrote:I don't know about that plant, but check this out

http://eatlocalgrown.com/article/13270-just-a-weed-or-an-unrecognized-health-boosting-plant.html

Purslane is a common weed, also an ornamental with various varieties and flower colors and sizes, [ornamental varieties I have tasted are more bitter]- also a great salad vegetable with several culinary varieties, [I prefer Golden, and Red Gunner.] I think it is much better added raw to salad, as cooking seems to make it a little slimey . [ my rabbits like it also]

__________ Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:56 am __________

[For our warm climate friends ]--another plant both me and my rabbits liked ,was Xanthosoma brasilense [Tannier Spinach] but it likes a warm climate [like Florida where I lived when I grew it] They also like Bac-haw Taro [colocasia esculenta] leaves, -Both of these plant varieties contain very little of the " itch " that must be cooked out the leaves of most "edible" xanthosoma or colocasia varieties. My rabbits seemed to like small amounts of Turmeric leaf also. Rabbits also like a lot of the leaves of "True Yam" dioscorea sp.], and seem to be able to eat vast quantities with out a problem, - I also grew a plant called Chaya [Cnidoscolus chayamansa] http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/982- ... acle-plant I liked the variety I had as I could eat it raw [some varieties have a lot of cyanide or stinging hairs on the leaves ] my rabbits liked small ammounts , they would eat a bunch of it for a day or two, then ingore it for about 3 days, then eat some more [it must have toxins that accumulate in the body] --modern scientists have concluded that Chaya must be "toxic" and must be cooked, [total supposition based on no direct studdies] -because it contains Cyano-whatevers , but the natives of central mexico have been eating large quantities of it raw for a thousand years, so-- scientists must know something I and the natives have never noticed.
Seed Garlic, http://www.Mountainvalleygarlic.com , https://www.facebook.com/Mountain-Valle ... 254347988/,
hard neck garlic varieties for fall planting.
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens, and too many ducks..
https://vimeo.com/176370337?ref

The following user would like to thank michaels4gardens for this post
the reluctant farmer

1 year of membership
Great Britain Female
BunnyBucks: 400.00

Post Number:#199  Unread postby myrkari » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:15 pm

Hello all!

I have a question about cow parsley (wild chervil.) There's an absolute abundance of it growing beside my house (although it has flowered now, so rather past its initial best - still plenty of leaves under the flower-heads though.)

Firstly does anyone know whether more than a handful for each rabbit is too much cow parsley? I can't find anything that would indicate it's an "only in moderation" sort of food, so while it is there and happily growing like well... a weed... I'd quite like to take advantage of it, but want to check that no-one knows of a reason why not to first!

Secondly, has anyone had any experience of trying to dry it for overwinter use, and if so how successful was it? There's just masses of it out there. I have inspected it all closely enough to be sure it is definitely cow parsley and not fool's parsley (or worse, hemlock :eek:) but if I were to go out there with my clippers and start hacking down swathes of it I would of course be extra careful to make sure there wasn't a single sneaky hemlock plant nestled amongst the tasty parsley that would rather ruin the whole operation :x

Essentially, I don't want to hang up a bunch of it to try and dry it for "storage" and have it end up spoiling/being wasted, when it could've just been eaten here and now. I very much want to take advantage of the great big pile o'free food in the area just outside my garden wall, but I also don't want to throw great handfuls of the one plant at my buns alongside their dandelions and dock leaves and fresh grass and hay (and pellets) when it isn't the best thing to give them lots of.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance :)

(I posted this over on another forum but I think their "rabbit section" is rather empty so I followed some signature links to here - much more likely to find knowledgeable folks here I think :D)

Site Supporter
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 30,569.00

Post Number:#200  Unread postby Zass » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:47 pm

Anthriscus sylvestris (Cow Parsley, wild chervil)

This page quotes a book which claims it had medicinal properties similar to fennel, which would make it an excellent feed, but also states it doesn't dry well.
http://www.forestforaging.com/?page_id=128

The following user would like to thank Zass for this post
myrkari

2 years of membership2 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,771.00

Post Number:#201  Unread postby jeannie » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:19 pm

Can't find what this is via internet, do you know?
Edit: found it: Anemopsis californica
Seems to have medicinal values. Has anyone tried to feed this? I am going to try it, well, one of my rabbits is going to try it :)
Will let you know.
Attachments
0605150700-01 (1).jpg
0605150700-01 (1).jpg (167.05 KiB) Viewed 567 times
0605150700-00.jpg
0605150700-00.jpg (281.31 KiB) Viewed 567 times
Everybunny needs a Lionhead bunny! www.jjrabbitry.com

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 805.00

Post Number:#202  Unread postby Stephanie » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:21 pm

Ok. I have a plant I'm curious about which hasn't been commented on in the entire site as a food source for rabbits. Camellia. I am aware that tea is made from the leaves. And, I am also aware that the seed pods are pressed for cooking oil, which btw is quite pricey if you happen to find any. So, it's apparent that the pods and leaves are not toxic to humans. Has anyone ever tried them on their buns? I have several very large camellias in my yard, (over 10 feet tall). A search on google, "camellia toxicity rabbit", gave conflicting information.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,530.00

Post Number:#203  Unread postby a7736100 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:23 pm

I fed my rabbits some fresh cut mulberry branches. I noticed the sap is a little sticky. Should I age them before feeding? I've fed them before but this is the first time I noticed sticky sap.

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 7,885.00

Post Number:#204  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:26 pm

I have fed mulberry leaves and branches fresh and dried with no trouble
Seed Garlic, http://www.Mountainvalleygarlic.com , https://www.facebook.com/Mountain-Valle ... 254347988/,
hard neck garlic varieties for fall planting.
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens, and too many ducks..
https://vimeo.com/176370337?ref

Previous