Need Help with caring for bunny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenowl8

Reaction score
Hello!
We have had a bunny in our family for three years and I have begun to realize our mishandling of our bunny and have decided to seek help. These are the problems we have and I need to know what to do about:
We keep our bunny in a cage and daily let him run around in our living room.
There is a litter tray in my bunny's cage and while he is in his cage he pees into it. Problem is that he doesn't poop into it.
I have placed litter pans in the living room but he just digs in them and all the bedding falls out. Also he doesn't pee or poop into the litter boxes. I have read other post on how to litter train a rabbit and they all say watch out for the moment where he lifts his tail up and then put him in his litter pan. The thing is that my rabbit poops every 30 seconds so it is impossible to catch and put him in his litter box before he poops again. Is it normal that he poops so much?

Need help!!!! How do you train your rabbit to poop in room and in cage? Should I limit his access to the room and buy a puppy pen?

When people hear that rabbits can be "litter trained" they automatically assume it's the same as a cat where they should ONLY use the box for wastes

But

Rabbits are not cats and can not be trained to be 100% reliable in using a litterbox

Rabbits eat a lot of fibre and roughage and they poop a heck of a lot more than a carnivore so it is very normal for your bunny to leave a turd every few feet. The do make clusters of poops after they wake up and usually use the litterbox for these and most are pretty reliable about peeing in just a litterbox but only within their territory ie their cage, and when out and about the may piddle wherever they please as well :(

the only thing I can think of, is to try feeding your rabbit at two specific times a day.
Say when you get up and twelve hours later. It may help regulate his eliminations as well.
If a rabbit just eats all day long, he will go, all day long.

So just curious and saw this post-when rabbits are considered to be litterbox trained do they mostly pee in the litter box even if they still drop berries on the floor? Mine are a outside but do have litter pans, and I have been curious about people who do have them in the house, how it works:)

BlueHaven":1knfbutp said:
the only thing I can think of, is to try feeding your rabbit at two specific times a day.
Say when you get up and twelve hours later. It may help regulate his eliminations as well.
If a rabbit just eats all day long, he will go, all day long.

Me, I wouldn't restrict the access to food, especially hay. Imho their digestive system needs regularly input to work, when fed too seldom they will eat too much at once, and when hungry their digestive system can slow down. Both, in my opinion, can cause serious problems like bloating. Imho a bunny that stops dropping berries regularly is something to worry about.

Mine have their special corners for peeing - at least the does and my buck. They put most of their berries there too. I guess it's very indivdual how clean a bunny keeps his territory.
Something completly different with my growout bucks (8 in a hutch), they pee everywhere, walls, ceiling, brothers and me included. :x

I also wouldn't restrict access to feed, for all the reasons Preitler mentioned.

My house rabbits have special potty corners and will use litterboxes placed there, but the poop scattered everywhere, well, IMO that is just a rabbit thing. Most house rabbit webpages I've read tell me that bunny owners just "don't really mind those east to clean up dry poops", if they mention them at all.

My home has FAR too many wires to ever allow a rabbit loose though, so I just have to clean their pens. We built large pens for them, bigger than anything a pet store offers, and they seem to be pretty happy in them.

If your rabbit is spayed / neutered it can be litter trained pretty easily. Yes they will still poop, but for the most part it should be resigned in a certain area.

And personally I agree - dry bunny poops aren't really hard to clean & are pretty clean themselves, pretty much just hay.

If you're trying to litter box train him put his food & water hanging near / in the litter box and he will naturally pee & poop there. But unless he's neutered I wouldn't count on him using it too regularly, for anything other than pees. And then, if he has a very large area to run he will have accidents.

Back