Anyone have problems with Purina Feed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamsFamilyFarm

Reaction score
I was at a new feed store yesterday. The don't carry my feed, which I already knew. I've been driving 30 miles to get it every month. Then, it isn't always real fresh. Anyway, one of the managers there asked me to bring in the tag for the feed I use (which is out of Louisiana) and let her compare it to the Purina. She also offered to order some other things I needed. A friend of mine uses them and has nothing but good things to say. I was just curious to see if anyone has any complaints before I switch.

I have heard a lot of good things about Purina, especially the show formula (blue bag). I fed it to my herd through four bags (each lasting my small rabbitry about a month). Each bag of feed was very fresh, had little dust, and was an overall good looking pellet. My rabbits had good condition while on it, BUT I could not get a litter to save my life. Now, I'm not sure if it was the feed or the rabbits themselves which caused my lack of babies. But I did away with both and am now raising up some young Harlies on a different feed.

Thats a very common complaint with Purina, you can't get your does bred. I have fed the green bag(regular) blue bag(show) and gray bag (professional) Hard to keep/gain weight on the big breeds and even harder to get litters. Our 4H leader tells all her kids not to feed it, said when she was feeding it she had the same problems, and when she butchered fryers they had a huge amount of fat in their body cavity, which would explain why does won't take. None of my show breeder friends will use it, most have had the same problems I did when they did try it. I switched to Manna Gro and all my does took and I had kits coming out of my ears, the difference was just incredible. I just can't suggest to anyone that they use Purina.

I've had nothing but problems on Purina, it was never fresh I had the worst time getting does bred, I lost a whole bunch of young rabbits to a killer bloat on it. I also had to drive about 60km to get it. The only really good thing about it was it was 17% protein instead of the usual 16%.

I use purina green. I don't have any trouble getting my does to breed (well not usually) it happens ocasionally, but I think it does for everyone, and it is more a question of timing and weather. They have changed the formula recently and added pappaya and probiotics. They also now state that the use alfalfa meal where before it was "high protien forage components"

The rabbits took to it fine. The only problem I have had is that a few weeks ago, the tack shop I was geting it at stopped selling feed. TSC has started though so I began buying it there although it is more expensive. When I first started using the purina from TSC, by rabbits didn't eat as well for a day or two. I looked at the feed tag, and it has the same ingredient list, but is shipped from a different regional mill. (I don't know where, they only give a mill number, the original feed came from the mill outside St.Louis as mf former supplier picked it up there) Anyway, the must be using a different kind of molassas or something. After a day or two they started eating it just fine, so I am assuming it is just the normal situation one encounters when the feed tastes a bit different. I have been feeding it a few weeks now with no problems. Somone said the "Manna Pro" feed is good if you don't like the Purina.

I would like to state that was bought out by Nestle' a several years back, and the Purina now made in Canada is different than what is made in the US, it may have to do with Agricultural laws or something. I have not heard anyone in Canada that likes it, so if you live there you might want to stay away from it.

I use Purina feed exclusively. They will stand behind there product. I use the Fibre 3 on the Florida Whites and Havanas. The New Zealand and Californians are on the Professional (Grey)/Show (Blue). Even in this cold weather no problems with the does kindling. Had 8 kindle 3 weeks ago and 7 litters are growing. (# 8 doe I can't blame the feed it was 20 degrees and she put the kits on the nest box floor and they became chilled.)

I compete with fryer pens in the local shows and have to really watch the age on my fryers. If they are approaching 10 weeks they will go over weight. I am aiming for 60 day olds for the fryer pen classes, so I have experienced excellent weight gain with the fryers while on it. The Florida Whites have won 6 BIS/RBIS in the past year on the Fiber 3. We had first place Junior Florida White doe at the ARBA National My friend won BOB with her Florida at the ARBA Nationals and she feeds Fiber 3.

The New Zelands have won several BOB's on the feed along with producing excellent fryers. (The Cali's we are just returning to showing so spring will tell, first litter of 10 is doing well though).

Make sure when you pick up feed that it is fresh. I buy enough for 1-2 months. My feed store orders it so that when I pick it up it is less them a month old. Many times it has been milled the same week I pick it up! Refuse to purchase it if it is older then 3 months! Tell them why. Feed stores will tell you it is okay to use. But it does start to loose palatability as it gets older. Also some of the vitamins/nutrients are lost as it ages. I compare it to a stale loaf of bread................sure you can eat it and it is safe to eat, but face it you would rather eat that fresh loaf out of the oven!! Same with the fresh feed with the rabbits.

Be sure to give your feed time. Many people change feeds so often that it is difficult to really know how your animals will do on a feed. It takes about a year to evaluate your herd on a new feed. Its not just the first generation born and eating the feed, but how do those kits grow and produce when they are mature? The other thing is you will find that you cull to your feed............those that are not breeding, or growing well you cull....pretty soon you will find that the ones you have kept are the ones that have done well on your feed!!

Anyway some of my experience with Purina feed after many years of raising rabbits and many different feeds! I will stick to it. It may cost more to buy but it is well worth it!
Denise

*from rabbitgeek notes 7/30/08*
What do you feed your rabbits?

Below is my standard blurb on feed:
I usually feed Purina Complete (16% protein) and Purina Professional (18%
protein). Actually I mix them together to create an average 17%
protein feed. Lately I've been using Purina Show Formula (16%) mixed
with the Purina Professional.

I have small rabbits, Holland Lops and Dutch as well as large rabbits
like American Blues, French Lops and Angoras.

The Angoras and Americans do well with higher protein requirement but
the protein is not so high as to create problems with the smaller breeds.

This has been our primary feed for many years. We occasionally try
another feed but when the flesh condition drops, we switch back.

It may not be the fault of the other feed. Any switch in feed is
stressful and will cause some loss of condition. We should probably
switch for 6 months to really test a new feed.

But when we have won many Best of Breed awards with different breeds
on the Purina feed, we always wind up back on the Purina.

When you find a feed that your rabbits do well on, stick with it. As
you breed, you are selecting for rabbits that will do well on the feed
you are giving it.

Other considerations are: I can usually buy feed at a feed store on my way
to work, no extra trips required. If they are out of stock, there are two
other dealers within easy driving distance. Purina has the easy to read date
code printed on the bottom paper strip, no 10 digit date codes to decipher.

I hope this info helps.
Have a good day!
Franco Rios

Thank you all! I'm still trying to decide what to do. I'm thinking it might not be a good idea to change right before a show. We go to Houston in March. The kits have started nibbling on the feed so I don't want to mess them up. Maybe I'll try changing after that. We won't have another show until January...I think. I have the opportunity to buy some more rabbits this weekend. Can't decide what I want to do. They are show rabbits, which is what I need. She'll sell them to me cheap. She just won Grand Champion, 4th and 6th at our local Jr. Livestock show meat pens. She is graduating so she can't show anymore. I hate to miss a good opportunity to get good stock. I've got 16 cages hanging now, with 5 more on the ground that could be put behind the pen. I have 4 does, one with a litter of 8, 3 other bred, and one buck. Also have 2-10 week olds, one buck, one doe. I'm trying to figure cage space. Guess we can sell some or send them to camp.

I usually feed Purina Complete (16% protein) and Purina Professional (18%
protein). Actually I mix them together to create an average 17%
protein feed. Lately I've been using Purina Show Formula (16%) mixed
with the Purina Professional.

I read this and felt stupid! I'm been trying to figure a feed for my buns that will be easier on my holland lops. Right now I feed a private label that comes to 19% but I'm finding my loppies don't need that so what thinking I needed to do something completely different, and then it was like OH! Mix feeds! I can get shurgain for 15 or 16% can't remember. But I can mix that with the private label and that SHOULD get me to a better level for my loppies.

I LOVE Purina. Have always fed it. Rabbits do great on it, for show, fur, meat, production, whatever! Everyone around here feeds it. The "big wigs" on the show table feed it. Judges feed it. A handful feed Manna Pro.

Back