Coat blowing

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Whew!! Let me tell you, my mini rex is blowing his coat like no tomorrow!! If I didn't already have 3 week kits from him, I'd swear the wads of hair I brush out of him could be more babies!!! I've taken the oodles of hair and gently finger spun some rough thread, which fell apart quick from the lack of hair length, but I was amazed how soft it was. Nice grey thread from my black rex--lol! I guess if I'm ever desperate I'll pluck my rabbits!!

Is anyone else blowing coat??

Yes, my Sr broken chestnut mini lop buck. Three weeks away from our first show this show season and as of yesterday he looks like he is trying to go bald.

I didn't get a pic of my netherland buck. I put him in a colony of guinea pigs so he got tons of fresh food, tons of hay, and practically no pellets. A few months later I put him in a cage and back on mostly pellets because I wanted to use a different rabbit for breeding in the colony. My god did that buck fluff! He's not even 2lbs and I cleaned inches of fur off the top of the bedding (probably 18x30" cage) over a week. He looks all wispy and bedraggled. His weight is holding fine and he seems perfectly healthy but he practically went bald fluffing off all his coat and just started seriously growing a new coat.

I was actually coming on to ask about this! I notices fine fluff all over the cages lately, figured it was some kind of seasonal shedding. Good to know! It is normal for some areas to come out kind of clumpy?

Here, too... and I was hoping to show a couple of them this month LOL
My SR buck is about 1/2 way through and looks awful, of course!
I was advised to feed BOSS and brush (and I finally figured out what BOSS is and that I have it LOL I was so puzzled!)

Yes, even my non molting Angora blew his coat.

But things are messed up here so I am not surprised.

Apparently I brushed Trooper for so long that he got annoyed with me and gave me a gentle nip to say, "Hey, that's enough, my back is tired!" He's a good boy so the nip came as a surprise reminder. He's a lot happier today having been handled so much yesterday.

I just took my SR junior doe outside in the sun and she is mottled all over~ old reddish coat and new black. What a mess!

Yes, our buns are blowing coat. We've been bringing them inside for plucking (no angoras, though) and brushing to help them along. Galadriel bags the old fur for use with litters.

Even our inside bunnies are doing it. Pinto's carrier looks like it snowed in there, and Aslan is losing his wool (lionhead), so he looks pretty funny at some angles.

DBA":19kg4d9d said:
Yes, my Sr broken chestnut mini lop buck. Three weeks away from our first show this show season and as of yesterday he looks like he is trying to go bald.
Some members have said that giving BOSS can cause a rabbit to blow coat. Perhaps you can give that a try, to encourage him to finish molting it out and growing the new one in.

heritage":19kg4d9d said:
I was actually coming on to ask about this! I notices fine fluff all over the cages lately, figured it was some kind of seasonal shedding. Good to know! It is normal for some areas to come out kind of clumpy?
Yes, they can end up with thin places, bald patches, and patches with 1/8" long new fur all at the same time. They look like someone came at them with a set of dull hedge clippers!

Back