Breeding up from mini to standard in Rex?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
I am not having much luck in finding a nice trio of tri color/harlequin Standard Rex but there is a stunningly beautiful tricolor mini rex on Craigslist so I thought I would ask what you thought to crossing her with one of my Rex bucks?

Broken Blue, Castor and blue are my color choices in bucks right now, how would that cross with tricolor?

At $20 I might just try her and see how it goes but need a second opinion, is this just my rabbitosis acting up?

I don't know too much~ I'm new to SR, but I think that the ej needed for tri/harle will get buried by the E of your bucks~ and you might get harlequinized castors.
I think you are best to stay in red/ tri/harle to get the best of those.
I asked earlier about breeding up and it was felt it would not give you satisfactory SR type and size without a long project...

from reading here I think the answer from the SR people will be that MR will slow down your breeding goals for the SR.

personally... ooooh pretty rabbit.. we needz the pretty rabbit.. givez us the pretty rabbit.. if you want another doe and this one is there and nice, why not see what you get? you can always eat the litter if it turns out not what you like. :mrgreen:

Depends on what your end goals are GBov.

If you are looking to produce show rabbits or for sales .... I wouldn't do it as many lines of Rex have trouble making weight as it is. That would just complicate the matter and no telling where how far you could go and have that gene pop back up.

With the internet and the ability to have rabbits moved from all corners of the country ..... I'd just keep looking.

I'd contact OAF and see if she has what you are looking for .... and try to set up some means of transport.

If the purpose is meat .... and not going to send poor genetics outside of your barn .... that's a different story.

End goal for rabbits eh?

Its to have what I want RIGHT NOW!!! :oops: :lol:

She is a pretty bun (and cheap) but I might just keep hunting to see if I can find exactly what I want. Now we have down sized to a camper I donated all my rabbits to our 4H group so I only have room for THREE rabbits any more so they need to be pretty special.

Dont worry though, I still get my rabbit fix as I run the rabbit project at 4H :D but could do with some buns MUCH closer to home.

3mina":2ajbqkw6 said:
From one impatient breeder to another, it'll come back to bite you. Trust me on this

Yeah , its tough enough making improvements when you are patient & cull hard ..... throwing a wildcard like that in is just asking for trouble. :?

3mina":3sm1km6y said:
From one impatient breeder to another, it'll come back to bite you. Trust me on this

:lol:

So glad I dont have to learn by my own mistakes and can learn through yours instead!

Amen to it all.

I spent the first 2 years culling 90% of my stock because no one would make weight... Gotta read my old post.

If--- I had to cross, I'd rather lose fur over size, though that will come back to bite you hard as well.

Back