when to give pullets nest boxes?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I should know this since we raised hens from chicks once before but can't remember when to last batch started laying, when we gave them nest boxes, etc. I do remember that if they have them before they're ready to lay they may roost or poop or just hang out in them so trying to avoid that. We got day old chicks at the very end of March so I'm hoping they'll start laying this month. I've been pleased that this batch have learned to eat lots of different things--including Japanese beetles--but worry that if they start laying just in the yard or their compost area that they'll also start eating the eggs.
So what clues should I be looking for that they are ready to start laying? When do I provide nests? Zach has to build them and I'm supposed to tell him when and how many. Thanks for helping.

most chicken breeds start laying at 5 -7 months so you may still have a few weeks or months to go. When a hen start she may take lots of interest in hidey-holes or lay down for a long time. I'd get them now and show it to them keep them lacked up with the nest boxes since most hens lay early in the morning or evening they may feel more complied to lay their eggs there. <br /><br /> __________ Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:49 pm __________ <br /><br /> OH, just remembered!! to encourage hens to lay in a nest box get some fake ceramic eggs and put them in the box. It helped with mine!

Watch the combs - they will get bright red when they start laying. Some breeds are more obvious than others, but that's the general tell tale sign that I know of. I would go ahead and put nest boxes in, just make sure the roosts are higher up - they should stay up high and leave the nest boxes alone.

ETA: when I first got chickens mine were about level... the nest boxes were a hair higher. They went for them. As soon as I raised the roost up they switched over.

Yep, mine usually start laying at about 6 to 7 months, but we have a very large breed. The combs start to change to a deeper color, and I have noticed mine start to make a new clucking sound.

Make sure your roosts are higher than the boxes, and be prepared to replace any nest material for a while until the ladies get it the way they want it. And if you happen to golf, golf balls work well in the place of ceramic eggs.

Thanks for the golf ball tip! I have some ladies who are nearing laying age and I have been trying to figure out how to convince them to use the nests instead of where-ever, as they are free range 90% of the time but come into a coop at night.

Back