New to Rabbits and thinking of colony

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gash

Reaction score
I'm new to rabbits and farm animals in general. Back in June we took the plunge to getting rabbits. I currently have 2 Californian Does (6mo old), 1 NZ/Cali buck (5mo old), 2 Doe Dutch (8 weeks), 1 Buck Dutch (4mo), 1 Doe Mini Lop (8 weeks) and 1 Buck Mini Lop (5mo old). I currently have Cali Does together in a large old metal filing cabinet turned on it's side with wood shavings for the floor, the bucks are all together in another large metal filing cabinet w/ shavings and the dutch does and mini lop does are together in a large temporary hutch with shavings. They are inside a huge barn and I'm getting ready to build a more permanent solution for them.

I have a big concrete slab that I'm thinking of building a "coop/community" for the does with separate bedding areas and eventually nesting boxes. I'm bad with guestimates but the slab is probably 10x6. I have another area approx. 4x6 that I'm thinking of building a buck community with a separate pen where I'll take desired buck and doe for breeding. The Cali Does have been together since birth and are super close, the other does (dutch and mini lop) have been together since about 4 or 5 weeks old. The males have been together since June with no incident, in fact they're constantly seen cuddling.

My biggest worry is the two groups of gals being introduced into the same large community, if I understand correctly as long as the space is large enough and they can have their own territory to retreat to where they don't feel threatened they should be ok together.

Do I have to worry about the males fighting once I start breeding them with the gals? As I said I'll have a separate breeding pen.

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to RabbitTalk Gash!!!

To be up front, I do not have a colony, so I cannot help very much there. I do suggest you read through all the threads in the Colony Section, going back as far as this site holds. I am sure that will answer many questions (and probably garner a few!!).

The bucks will need to be separated soon as they're ending their "teenager" stage and fighting can be messy and lethal when it starts. Especially when you start breeding them. Two nice 30x30 enclosures for each would be good.

As long as the gals have plenty of places to hide and get away, including visual barriers (buckets, ramps, etc) they should transition into a colony provided everyone has enough space of their own. As the girls work out dominance there will be humping, so don't assume the sex change fairy has visited (yet).

I am sure others will chime in, but it sounds like you're off to a good start. Poke around in the DIY section also!!

Welcome welcome!!

Hi Gash!

:welcomewagon:

Like EnglishSpot, I don't raise in a colony either... but she is spot on on separating the bucks. I once left a group of bucks together a bit too long and the results were NOT pretty. Some of them were unmanned permanently.

I'm sure some of our colony raisers will chime in soon, but until then browse the colony forum as E.S. suggested.

Latest posts

Back