Buck... hot weather, not eating

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
My big meat buck, normally 10 lbs, down to 8. approximately three years old.

Can't get him to eat worth a diddle... he's continually losing weight cause he's too lazy in this hot weather.
He'll eat 1/4 the amount of greens as normal, won't eat his hay (which had me wonder about his teeth).

I've done what I can to check his teeth...he does NOT appear to be in pain. He HAPPILY eats his grains...but if I give too many grains he gets "odd" in his poop habits and will spray more. Yeah...it's a go figure element.

asking for ideas to get him through the heat.

he doesn't handle ice bottles or ice cakes well.

he's in the coolest end of the rabbitry.

I'm kinda running out of ideas...

-- Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:28 pm --

should add that he can't come in the house as we have a bunny allergic lad living with us....

Is there a place that's not really indoors wherever you can put him with some A/C, like maybe a garage?

Someone here once mentioned misting the ears with cold water to cool them down quicker. Sounds like a good idea. Might get him eating better. That's a big weight drop.

misting his ears... I can do that.... Sneak is a much loved rabbit.. he such a cuddle bun when he isn't being a stinker...

right now... he's got me worried...

ladysown":1u9a66c0 said:
misting his ears... I can do that.... Sneak is a much loved rabbit.. he such a cuddle bun when he isn't being a stinker...

right now... he's got me worried...

I agree, the box fan might work.

I understand you can also use an ice cube or cold pack on the insides of his ears, but I think that is more of a short-term fix for a bunny in immediate danger of heat stroke.

Have you tried giving him some safe greens rinsed with water?

I think I've figured out the problem.

I moved him to a different cage before the heat wave. He'd lost some weight, but not so very much.
He doesn't like the heat, but he even less likes his new feeder.

I didn't help that I moved him two days before I went on vacation.

And then two weeks after vacation to figure out what the problem was... I feel a bit like a ditz... but I think I have him sorted though he didn't eat his full ration last night either... but at least he ate 2/3's of it....

Normally finishes everything and then double checks to see if he missed anything so I'm still a bit concerned on him....

ladysown":3mx7yykv said:
I didn't help that I moved him two days before I went on vacation.

And then two weeks after vacation to figure out what the problem was... I feel a bit like a ditz... but I think I have him sorted though he didn't eat his full ration last night either... but at least he ate 2/3's of it....

Normally finishes everything and then double checks to see if he missed anything so I'm still a bit concerned on him....

Poor guy. Probably feeling off from not eating enough for a stretch. Are you giving him treats throughout the day, like oats? Maybe plantain and/or dandelion leaves?

Back