Best, Cleanest, Fastest Dispatch?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Zinnia :)
Ladysown, very helpful.. the intent part is the hardest~ even when it is merciful!
Your description is thorough, thanks!

After the dislocation didn't work, I tried the bag/whack and it wasn't precise enough.
Then the hammer. :(
Let's just say that if you want to feel like a monster, that will do it.
But it had to be finished, I would just hate to be that clumsy about it again.

a7736100":1cegiojj said:
CO2 inhalation is the most common method of euthanasia used at NIH for mice, rats, guinea pigs and hamsters.
I'm not sure, other than a tailpipe, that I have the facilities to do this?
Can you elaborate?

TF, I'm sorry that went poorly. HUGS!!! It's like the first few times I dispatched a rabbit--there were some mistakes, but I bless them too for giving me a learning experience so that their later fellows don't suffer. Just remember that the kit isn't suffering RIGHT NOW, despite the scene replaying in your head.

Yes, that is what I keep telling myself :)
With my anxiety I have to walk through what is real/required~ the kit is not suffering and could not have kept going.
How we got there will help me in the future especially if it happens and I don't have time to think and plan ahead.
I also firmly believe that part of our good stewardship is to give our animals whatever care is needed, however hard we may find it emotionally.
But, man, do I wish there was a way out! (I know my husband couldn't do it!)

do know that there is no shame in finding someone who can do the job for you.

I have a rabbity friend who simply can't and she gifts me rabbits all the time. She can't keep them, I can cull them or sell them or use them or... whatever needs be doing. She simply CAN'T pull it together.

If you have someone who can, utilize them. :)

not saying babies aren't hard... but one must do what one must do. My dad taught me early... cull the weak kittens in a litter. DO IT.. cause it will give the strong kittens a better chance to grow strong and healthy and survive living on a farm. And I learned it was true....I'd rather have three kittens grow strong to adulthood than lose six small, slow ones under a tractor wheel...

I wish I had a you near by ;)
When I ran dog rescue, I had to be the bottom line on these decisions, and as hard as it was, I did choose to euthanize animals (ie aggressive, seriously abused, very aged) because the fact is that resources were very limited, and homes for rescues are finite. And at the end of the day, I'd rather see a healthy, safe animal placed than hold space for an animal with compromised quality of life OR that would be a danger. So I hear you :)
It is just when it comes down to my own two hands. So I'll keep my ears open for a willing volunteer in our area.

(actually, I should touch base with our local dog sled business... I have offered them culls, and they have a 'meat guy' and I bet he would process them if I donated them. It would also be a good opportunity to see if they want to buy meat ;))

I'm so glad to find and read this topic. As I plan to raise rabbits for meat, I decided that this was the very first thing I needed to figure out, even before cages, etc. While I have plans to start up this winter, etc., the only rabbit specific item I've purchased so far, right up front, is a Rabbit Wringer. I had heard that sometimes there were delays, and I wanted to have it on hand before even having any rabbits on site. I figured if I can't wrap my head around how to get that part right, I shouldn't get rabbits.

The RabbitWringer I got has a "poultry adapter", which basically means that you can narrow the gap in which you place the animal's neck (for a chicken, etc.). I'm thinking this may work better on a big duck than a killing cone. I would think that perhaps, if properly executed, a larger kit could be killed this way (with the narrow gap) if too big for the scissors, etc. But I really don't know - it would depend on its size.

There are some good videos on YouTube showing it in action with a chicken and a rabbit. I watched them a few times to make sure I understood how it worked before getting it.

(No affiliation, etc., with RabbitWringer, just a customer.)

- Ant Farm

Fire Ant Farm":2m0nht1s said:
There are some good videos on YouTube showing it in action with a chicken and a rabbit. I watched them a few times to make sure I understood how it worked before getting it.

- Ant Farm

Have you viewed the one on this site? Just a thought...I've heard it's
fairly good. :)

TF3":1xc40t8q said:
Thanks Zinnia :)
Ladysown, very helpful.. the intent part is the hardest~ even when it is merciful!
Your description is thorough, thanks!

After the dislocation didn't work, I tried the bag/whack and it wasn't precise enough.
Then the hammer. :(
Let's just say that if you want to feel like a monster, that will do it.
But it had to be finished, I would just hate to be that clumsy about it again.

a7736100":1xc40t8q said:
CO2 inhalation is the most common method of euthanasia used at NIH for mice, rats, guinea pigs and hamsters.
I'm not sure, other than a tailpipe, that I have the facilities to do this?
Can you elaborate?

Omg... I can just imagine, too well, what that was like.
One time, when I was young, I had to give mercy to a bluejay that was severly wounded. I figured the best way was to smash it's head with a rock. Well, for some reason, it didn't go as planned and I ended up having to smash the poor thing repeatedly. It was screaming, I was crying.... I finished the job, but I certainly didn't feel like I was being merciful and now I have a block against going for a repeat of the experience. :/

We had a MEAN rooster that was attacking our little girl (this was a few years ago)... I finally got my hands on him (DH hit him with a hammer to get him off our DD), we had a "now what?" moment? I mean, I knew I was going to have to do it eventually, but never really thought through the HOWS of it all. We tried the spin and snap method that DH's ggma used to do - total fail. Then we found an old ax. Evidently way too dull. It finally did the trick, but not like I would have hoped. It wasn't a great experience, but we were running on anger and adrenaline at that point so it was what it was (YDD ate 4 bowls of "Peter soup" - the greatest revenge she never knew she got). I can't imagine if the goal was for a calm, humane dispatch... it would have been more traumatizing that it already was!

heritage":2c2q5t1z said:
We had a MEAN rooster that was attacking our little girl (this was a few years ago)... I finally got my hands on him (DH hit him with a hammer to get him off our DD), we had a "now what?" moment? I mean, I knew I was going to have to do it eventually, but never really thought through the HOWS of it all. We tried the spin and snap method that DH's ggma used to do - total fail. Then we found an old ax. Evidently way too dull. It finally did the trick, but not like I would have hoped. It wasn't a great experience, but we were running on anger and adrenaline at that point so it was what it was (YDD ate 4 bowls of "Peter soup" - the greatest revenge she never knew she got). I can't imagine if the goal was for a calm, humane dispatch... it would have been more traumatizing that it already was!

I think having adrenaline in a situation like that helps. I wouldn't have nearly as much trouble, with the emotional aspect, dispatching an animal that was attacking me (or my kid!!) as I do with a calm, gentle animal that trusts me. I mean, on the other hand, it's the best possible scenario to be able to give a fast, clean dispatch to an animal that doesn't have to die in fear. But just the worry of being able to get that clean dispatch. Ugh.

I think I've decided on the captive bolt gun for dispatching any larger rabbits, but I haven't bought one yet and I doubt it would be suitable for a small kit.
Maybe they should make a miniature version as well. :p

I've used a spade on kits just place on the ground with the end of the spade on the back of the neck. Then suddenly push down or palm slap it work on younger kits plus you can dig a hole to give proper burial if you wish. On larger kits and adults I like using a .22 rifle tho bullets do cost money and not every one lives in the country. Like stated before there is not a good way to dispatch a young kit. But I also believe that it is necessary from time to time.

I had to use the broom handle method last night. My daughter's bunny, Lucy, had an abscessed tooth. We couldn't figure why she wasn't eating. Well last night she took a turn for the worst and we had to put her down. That's when I noticed her back tooth.

Anyways, the way you dispatch needs to feel comfortable to you. If your comfortable then the dispatch will goes easier for both of you.

grumpy":1i203qk5 said:
Fire Ant Farm":1i203qk5 said:

- Ant Farm

Have you viewed the one on this site? Just a thought...I've heard it's
fairly good. :)

No, I haven't - can you direct me to it?

Dwc77":1i203qk5 said:
I've used a spade on kits just place on the ground with the end of the spade on the back of the neck. Then suddenly push down or palm slap it work on younger kits plus you can dig a hole to give proper burial if you wish. On larger kits and adults I like using a .22 rifle tho bullets do cost money and not every one lives in the country. Like stated before there is not a good way to dispatch a young kit. But I also believe that it is necessary from time to time.

This spade method actually sounds pretty good for a little one, and it seems less emotionally taxing for the dispatcher (or at least for me) than whacking/paper bag/other methods (even if in the end the kit dies instantly for all of them when done correctly). And I'm fairly certain that I would not be able to execute any gun/pellet methods without screwing it up. I'm going to remember the spade thing. Thanks!

- Ant Farm

Oddly, I just couldn't get the hang of the broomstick. Seemed like it took too many tries and too loud a crunch. Wrong motion.

Bopping from newborns to srs.

Young ones take as much still as the older ones, I hit the tip of my finger swinging once...

Hand/eye and upper body need to be correct, an attempt to swing a 12lb rabbit can go sideways if the motion isn't quick and fluid. Not the way to go if you care about how the meat looks.

grumpy":1syk9m0x said:
Fire Ant.....

learning-aid-for-usda-protocol-processing-video-t18360.html

It's stickied at the top of the meat rabbit section.... :x :x

I totally should have looked there. I have the bad habit of mostly reading the "active topics".

(Where's that face palm/head smack smiley when you need it?!)

Thanks, grumpy!!!

- Ant Farm

Edit to add: I watched it (excellent video, thanks!!!), and was wondering (not having dispatched a rabbit before): Is that amount of kicking/twitching normal with a cervical dislocation method? (I just want to know what to expect so I'm prepared.)

Spade does sound good... not sure I want to sever the head though. <br /><br /> __________ Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:42 am __________ <br /><br /> Update: Once again, due to my lack of conviction and insecurity, I was 'spared' having to do the deed. I came in to find the unthrifty kit dead this morning. However, before coming to the Shop this morning, I did some reading in preparation for having to dispatch the kit today. What I found was an absolutely fascinating document that, I believe, should be read by anyone who feels insecure in having to dispatch.

My one regret on this document, is that it does not provide an illustration for rabbits (as it does for dogs, cats, pigs, goats and a few other animals I believe) on the placement for use of a penetrating captive bolt gun.

https://www.avma.org/KB/Policies/Documents/euthanasia.pdf

I will say that, after finding the dead kit, I took the advice of the document and practiced a cervical dislocation by hand on the kit. I want to share that experience as it could greatly benefit others who might need to do the same.

The kit must not have been dead too long, the body was cool but there was no rigor mortis, so the effective feel of the dislocation was likely very similar to if the kit had been alive.

The kit was just shy of 5 weeks old, but smaller than its siblings, probably the size of a 4 week old kit. I would say this information would apply to any kit from a couple of weeks to a few months of age. I grasped the back end in my left hand and the base of the head with my right hand. I gave a sharp pull, but my anticipation of how quickly the neck would snap did not prove to be correct. I'm glad I did not try this on a live kit, as it would have not been a quick dispatch. My best description would be the sensation of rice crispies in the neck. It took several, firm pulls to feel the separation of the head. If I had to repeat this procedure on a live kit, I would say the most important thing would be to pull considerably harder and faster than one would think you would have to. At this point, I would feel less concerned with the possibility of yanking the head completely off (beheading) than I would at not being forceful enough to cleanly and quickly snap the neck. I don't know if my technique was poor, or simply not forceful enough.

I hope this information is helpful to someone and I would definitely recommend practicing your dispatch methods on recently dead kits if you encounter them in your husbandry.

Susie570":1djogin3 said:
It took several, firm pulls to feel the separation of the head.

I don't think I could EVER bring myself to do this. Bopping would probably be the only thing I could handle. I've never had the need for dispatching any adult rabbits, but four kits out of my first litter had bloat, the saddest and most painful experience in rabbit I've had to deal with (for both them and me). Thankfully I was spared from dispatching them, it came pretty close to it. After a lot of tears, I convinced my dad to take a cast iron pan to them, but it wasn't needed. They all died before we could do it. Looking back on it now, I can imagine it being pretty messy. If I ever need to do it in the future (I pray I never will) it would be good to put them in a plastic bag before bopping, so you don't have to worry about making a mess, or not hitting hard enough to kill instantly.

I realize that very sick bunnies is heartbreaking for people especially if they are a pet. And I'm not being heartless but I hate for animals to suffer. I feel better knowing I ended there suffering. Maybe dad's grandpa's or friends can help out if it is to hard for someone to do themselves. It is just the sad truth about having animals. Sorry if this seems mean -/-(

Back