Homemade Mosquito Trap

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
Maybe FaceBook isn't so bad after all...

I saw this posted on FB, and thought it might help those of you that live in places that actually have water, as opposed to me in drought stricken California. :)

I also think this trap would work for other blood-sucking insects like fleas, ticks, and bedbugs because they are also attracted to carbon dioxide.

HOMEMADE MOSQUITO TRAP:
Items needed:
1 cup of water
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 gram of yeast
1 2-liter bottle

HOW:
1. Cut the plastic bottle in half.
2. Mix brown sugar with hot water. Let cool. When cold, pour in the bottom half of the bottle.
3. Add the yeast. No need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.
4. Place the funnel part, upside down, into the other half of the bottle, taping them together if desired.
5. Wrap the bottle with something black, leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside in an area away from your normal gathering area. (Mosquitoes are also drawn to the color black.)

Change the solution every 2 weeks for continuous control.

I will probably try this. I think I have a few mosquitoes to spare. :?

I know that something similar (capped water bottle, hole cut in side, buried so the hole is an inch or so above ground, with a couple inches of water-sugar-yeast (or beer) in it) will work for slugs. Very disgusting, but effective. I couldn't bring myself to reuse the bottles, though. :sick: Always made new ones.

Maybe very low level control but not where I used to live. :lol: You could squash a regular water bottle full of mosquito bodies every day and you wouldn't have made a dent. I'm sure you can't outdo thousands of bats and they weren't making a difference. I lived with bug repellent perfume. No scent cutter is great stuff even if not 100% scent free. OFF! is the worst brand of mosquito repellent. I had to coat the doorways of animal buildings with essential oils to keep them alive and apply some to the dogs every time they wanted to go out. Just when we were questioning how the wildlife survived during the worst year several chickens died.

Omg, that's really useful. :p
Drought-stricken CA, MSD? You have no idea. The billboards on freeways went from saying "Save Water" to "Severe Drought. Cut down on watering plants."
Really? :cute:

I'm going to give this a shot for fleas in our house! But, I'll use a shallow dish, so they jump in and drown....I hope it works... :popcorn:

Back