Is this Rex fur

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crookdbeak13

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting some rex from someone on facebook, and they are new to me, so I would like to know opinions on them from someone on here!

Attachments

• 11800942_414447248746842_1324931669_o.jpg
    11800942_414447248746842_1324931669_o.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,188
  • 11815598_414448142080086_1242728170_n.jpg
    11815598_414448142080086_1242728170_n.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,188
just meat and the pelts...not for anything important, but want some that are rex furred and have seen so many that people say are that aren't.

Were you looking at young kits when they did not appear rex to you? I just found out that their rex coat really doesn't come until they are older.

Zinnia":18hkuaj7 said:
3mina":18hkuaj7 said:
My Rex are rexed from birth.

Or so the breeder told me.... I'm going to cull a couple rabbits tomorrow. :wall:

I've had longer coated kits but they generally end up having too soft a coat to keep. I want a coat that has the same texture as good velvet, it should 'catch' your skin.

The Rex SOP says "Fur is to be extremely dense with length no less than 1/2'' or more than 7/8'', ideal length 5/8''. Fur is to be straight, upright, and as nearly as possible, the same length and texture over the entire body''

Easy to say, easy to write, easy to lose if you aren't familiar with breeding a correct coat. I've been breeding Rex for not quite five years and I'm just starting to be confident in my coat assessments in my kits. My advice to anyone wanting Rex is go to shows and watch the judging so you know what good ones look like. Then find a breeder who has similar goals as yours whether it's meat production, showing, or feeding regime.

In the first pic crookdbeak posted, does anyone know what those two dark spots are on that rabbit's face?

Zinnia, by this age, you can see that there was already very noticeable differences between my rexed v-lops, and non-rexed meat mutt kits pictured here (the dilutes). I don't think rex furred kits ever look like "normal" non rexed ones... so long as they have enough fur to compare.
GEDC5978.JPG

By this age these v-lop mini rex cross mutts look distinctly rexed to me, nothing like fluffy meat mutt kits .
GEDC1346.JPG

Zass":2aeejxv4 said:
In the first pic crookdbeak posted, does anyone know what those two dark spots are on that rabbit's face?

Zinnia, by this age, you can see that there was already very noticeable differences between my rexed v-lops, and non-rexed meat mutt kits pictured here (the dilutes). I don't think rex furred kits ever look like "normal" non rexed ones... so long as they have enough fur to compare.

By this age these v-lop mini rex cross mutts look distinctly rexed to me, nothing like fluffy meat mutt kits .
View attachment 1

Those 2 dark spots just look like odd Californian markings. Since Californians can have smutt on their face / ears / legs they can end up with odd smutt shapes. If they're not bred specifically for it.

Just what I thought

crookdbeak13":2njdnyck said:
just meat and the pelts...not for anything important, but want some that are rex furred and have seen so many that people say are that aren't.
if you want them for meat and a descent sized pelt then I'd be more worried that they are Mini Rex - it's hard to find Standard Rex in the 10 pound range

I actually decided against them. I was going to get them, but then the breeder said they were "only 5 weeks but mom was weaning them already". So not a good idea....I will hold out for better quality and a color that I would like anyway...Thanks everyone

Dood":35m7ap4i said:
if you want them for meat and a descent sized pelt then I'd be more worried that they are Mini Rex - it's hard to find Standard Rex in the 10 pound range

Weight range for Rex does is 8-10.5 lbs. Not hard at all, you just have to ask.

crookdbeak13":2u47d1vw said:
I actually decided against them. I was going to get them, but then the breeder said they were "only 5 weeks but mom was weaning them already". So not a good idea....I will hold out for better quality and a color that I would like anyway...Thanks everyone

Strange.
The top picture definitely doesn't look like a 5wk old kit. It looks like an adult rabbit.
The second picture looks like it's a young rabbit, but a good bit older than 5 weeks.
Probably good that you decided against them. ;)

Latest posts

Back