How I divide up the rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alforddm

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I know many of you already do this. However, it wasn't something that I thought about right away when processing my rabbits so I thought I would share.

I've discovered I really like dividing up all my rabbits instead of freezing or using a whole rabbit for a meal. I put the hind legs in one bag, the front legs in another, and the loins in a third. The belly flaps and the rest of the carcass goes into a stew pot. It's a bit of a pain to debone but the broth is wonderful. I usually do a big pot of Rabbit Noodle Soup and/or Rabbit and Dumplings.

This gives me alot of flexibility when cooking. I can bake, fry, or grill the hind legs, hubby loves chicken wings so I use the front legs for rabbit "wings", and the loins I use in the place of boneless chicken breast.

I do this too, but it was Hub's idea. :) The only difference is that the flaps get saved for jerky.

If you don't already do this, I would suggest dividing them after they have rested- when the meat is chilled, you get much "cleaner" cuts. Plus it is a lot easier and safer to work with chilled meat as opposed to a floppy warm carcass.

alforddm":1okmxpwx said:
I use the front legs for rabbit "wings"

Rabbit wings are one of our absolute favorite dishes! I usually brown them in a cast iron skillet in bacon grease then smother with barbecue sauce and simmer. It seems like the longer you simmer them, the better they are! :dinner:

Rabbit wings?
potroastplz_by_spambi.gif

That sounds like a good way to do it...and I think I will with this upcoming batch of rabbits! I definitely want to try the jerky and the 'wings'. :)

Latest posts

Back