had to put down a hedgehog

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
Adisa, my best sow and producer of biggest litters. Friendly and has been breeding great with Jinga for some of my best hedgehogs so far. We aren't sure what happened. She had signs of ataxia. We were concerned it was a genetic neurological disease hedgehogs can get and has to be culled for hard which would mean all the offspring I managed to keep from her so far would have to be removed from breeding just in case. It progressed far too fast though. WHS usually has steady slow loss of control. 1 day she was slightly off but with no visible health problem and still eating. I started supplements the next day because it is believed there might be a nutritional disorder mimicing WHS symptoms and accounting for the widespread occurance. She was found the next evening laying in the open because it was too hard to stand while waiting for food and water. I gave her canned instead with her supplements. Last night she had not improved. This afternoon she didn't make it under her sleeping shirt and her eyes were sitting there half open. I thought she was dead but her nose moved when I touched her. Her hindlegs were pale and appeared to have little to no blood flow. At that point I determined quality of life was too bad and it was unlikely even extreme measures would bring her back to health. I just put her down and found little evidence on a necropsy.

So sorry. She was a cutie.

It still amazes me how deeply the little ones can entwine themselves in our hearts.

Back