Alphalfa

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
okay-- so I don't have to worry about alfalfa getting into unwanted areas of whatever piece of dirt I eventually get-- WHEW!!! I know most of my alfalfa toxicity info came from waaaayyy back-- perhaps the 'old wives tale'(that is what we'll call it now!!1) started as a result of something else-- and if those horses I knew died from the frozen alfalfa--perhaps there was something on/in the pasture as well.

One less worry

I'm glad we got the alfalfa question well discussed and settled. :)

Thank you to all who participated... It's nice to be able to have an intense discussion without people getting angry. :goodjob:

Thanks Artificer.
That was a well written, succinct and accurate reply.

Fresh green alfalfa can be a problem for bloat with some animals, who will tend to overeat it because they find is so tasteful. Overfeeding a rabbit any kind of greens, that is unused to is potentially hazardous. Some alfalfa is sprayed with pesticides which might cause rabbits to shy away from, but in that case, I wouldn't want my rabbits eating it anyway. Otherwise it is the single, most complete herb commonly available. I always buy my hay from local farmers, so I know how it is grown. My rabbits tend to like Red clover equally as well, but it does not have quite the same nutritional value. Non-digestible protein is found in both.

I LOVE the movie Food, Inc. I'm a foodie, so it's one of my favorite movies ever. My goal when I grow up is to be able to raise all my food myself and just have to buy salt. Possible, yes. Probable, not really. I'm shooting for it though.

tomcatrabbitry":1v19ip2w said:
I LOVE the movie Food, Inc. I'm a foodie, so it's one of my favorite movies ever. My goal when I grow up is to be able to raise all my food myself and just have to buy salt. Possible, yes. Probable, not really. I'm shooting for it though.
It's quite possible to raise all of your own food but in your climate it may be difficult to get greens in the Winter. The main requirement in raising your own food is to eat what is ready in the garden and not feel as though you need tomatos in the middle of Winter etc. It may mean eating the same vegies meal after meal for a while also. Right now I'm eating collards a couple of times a week because that's what there is most of in my garden. My rabbits are helping me out with using it up but you have to be careful not to overfeed anything in the cabbage family or they could get diarhea.

With all the ways we have to preserve food - freezing, canning, drying - it should be possible to have fruits and vegetables year round. I think you would want a greenhouse for fresh growing in winter... and there are designs that incorporate housing a few chickens and rabbits in them in the cold months.

There are some things that simply won't grow in northern climates without a greenhouse. Citrus, for example. You can do a dwarf tree in the house perhaps..one of those small lemons or limes.

We're pretty close to raising our food. The rabbits and chickens could all provide meat/eggs using hay/grains/greens that we grow or get from next door neighbor farmer. I still buy the grains from the feedmill, but since that's the same as buying from the farmer, I don't care :) ) Garden veggies I've got covered. As well as plums and apples from our land.

The greenhouse is being built this summer if I have to do it all myself. Going to try for lots of greens for the rabbits, as well as a few "treats" for us.

Lots of garden veggies store well in a root cellar, which can be as simple as a barrel buried in the ground.

Lately it's been kind of a game trying to figure out WHAT I can produce that will last into the winter without canning them. So far I have Pumpkins, potatoes, squash, carrots, turnips, parsnips, apples, onions, beets. (as well as the garlic, etc.)

I'm going to try to grow a fig tree this year.

oh my. what a thread drift!

Back