Register

Louisiana - Rex free to RT home

A forum to help find new homes for rabbits whose owners can no longer provide care for them. Everyone can read, but you must have 20 posts to participate in this forum.
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 56,220.00

Louisiana - Rex free to RT home

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Miss M » Sun May 24, 2015 12:21 am

Our first litter of Standard Rex is ready for freezer camp, but there is one we would like to see have a chance to be a pet, if possible.

She was always just a smidge smaller than her siblings, but recently decided she liked being petite and was going to stay that way. At 13 weeks, she weighs 4 pounds 13 ounces -- one ounce larger than two weeks ago. Meanwhile, her castor siblings are continuing to grow.

She's a very sweet little REW, from very sweet stock. She's been handled a lot, being the only white bunny in a nest full of castors.

f2a.jpg
f2a.jpg (176.49 KiB) Viewed 1486 times

f2c.jpg
f2c.jpg (112.63 KiB) Viewed 1486 times

f2d.jpg
f2d.jpg (113.21 KiB) Viewed 1486 times

If you are interested, please let me know quickly. We had Monday planned for freezer camp, but now the forecasters have pegged it for rain. But I need to know pretty quickly whether to hold her back from the freezer. :)

She can come with a pedigree, if you like.

Galadriel wants me to gush about how sweet she is a little more, so here you are: She is a very, very sweet bunny who will pretty much let you smush and snuggle her super-soft fur to your heart's content. Galadriel would know. There you go. :)
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 3,610.00

Re: Louisiana - Rex free to RT home

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Bandits Bunny Farm » Sun May 24, 2015 1:42 am

If only I was closer, and I might consider getting her as a girlfriend for my poor, lonely (who happens to be Castor) Rex (even though I told my mom that I didn't really want to get into Standards :lol: :lol: :lol:)
~Bandit's Bunny Farm
http://banditsbunnyfarm.weebly.com

"Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in your joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand. But once you are Real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always."
~The Velveteen Rabbit

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Miss M » Sun May 24, 2015 1:31 pm

Well, after a message from one of our RT Rexperts, we've been convinced to keep her. It seems that size is not as important as I thought. :) She's a very nicely-shaped bunny.

And sweet, sweet, sweet. :D :P

- James Madison

2 years of membership2 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 5,920.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby funnies50 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:58 am

She looks so sweet :cry: I wants...

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 87,553.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:14 pm

Have you weighed her recently, Miss M?
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Miss M » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:28 pm

Whoops... I missed your question, MSD!

I actually pulled up this thread for a different reason.

I hadn't weighed her again, but she never visibly grew after those pictures were taken.

Last week, I opened her cage, and the usually bouncy Snow (who would bound up to the door begging to be petted) stayed in the back corner of her cage. Hmm. Okay, oddity noted. Maybe she's entering some aloof stage, since she's old enough to breed. She started doing this to everybody else, too. She'd enjoy you petting her, she just wouldn't usually come up to the front of the cage for you. Other than that, she was acting normal... enjoying her shelf, ripping into a pine cone or a millet sprig with gusto, etc.

She had had a couple of instances of sneezing out a little white stuff, but we realized there was a bunch of dust in her bowl, cleaned it, and it cleared right up. I didn't want to put down a bunny just because we'd let the dust build up in her bowl and she got some up her nose.

Last night, though, she'd had a J-feeder for several days, so no dust. The kids saw her sneezing, and she had some white snot. And there was a little red next to one nostril. We put up a divider, and added her to our freezer camp list for this morning.

After I skinned her and passed her inside to Shay, I let him know not to keep any giblets, but to please give them a good look.

Everything looked fine except for her lungs. Her lungs were a mess. Lumpy and grainy and mucousy looking, with dark areas. And he's the one who's always doing the gutting, so he knows what healthy lungs look like, even if they've got some blood in them from dispatch.

:(

Such a sweet bunny, but she was on her way downhill. Maybe this had something to do with the fact that she just stopped growing. :shrug: At least we caught it before she got really bad.

- James Madison

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 87,553.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:09 pm

Aww, that is too bad, Miss M.

She was a really nicely put together bun.

Hopefully you will have more prospects to keep soon. :clover:
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Miss M » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:09 pm

Yeah, I was really looking forward to seeing what I got when I bred her to Romeo! :(

I'll be breeding Faline to Romeo in maybe another 4 - 6 weeks, depending on the temps... I have bred during the summer before, but I don't like doing it at the worst of the summer. So, so hot.

Snow was from Faline x Figwit. Romeo's bigger than Figwit, and has the blocky male Rex head he's supposed to, if I understand correctly. I hadn't bred Romeo before, because he was having trouble adjusting to chickens. Especially when I had the Cornish x under him :sick: (I will never raise them in the rabbitry again). Poor bunny. But he's adjusted now.

We hated to put Snow down, and she was having such a nice time in the play area. But after we saw her lungs, we knew for sure it was the right thing to do.

- James Madison