Apple Cider Vinegar?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So would Heinz Vinegar, Apple Cider, Unfiltered work for my buns. I was looking at the great value brand but couldn't see the label well.

What is the "Mother"? :? Don't think they fitted a little old lady in there :? but one never knows for sure. :shock: :lol: :lol:

Seriously what is it? :oops:

From wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_of_vinegar

Mother of vinegar is a substance composed of a form of cellulose and acetic acid bacteria that develops on fermenting alcoholic liquids, which turns alcohol into acetic acid with the help of oxygen from the air. It is added to wine, cider, or other alcoholic liquids to produce vinegar.

I know of it as something one would want to keep as FAR away from their wine making equipment as possible. :lol:

wamplercathy":208euh2t said:
What is the "Mother"? :?
Zass":208euh2t said:
From wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_of_vinegar

Mother of vinegar is a substance composed of a form of cellulose and acetic acid bacteria that develops on fermenting alcoholic liquids, which turns alcohol into acetic acid with the help of oxygen from the air. It is added to wine, cider, or other alcoholic liquids to produce vinegar.

I looks like a big blob of gelatin floating on the top of the vinegar.

The only vinegar I have found with the mother is the organic type..very pricy..a pint costs the same as a gallon of filtered apple cider vinegar. :( .

katiebear":csnjzavm said:
The only vinegar I have found with the mother is the organic type..very pricy..a pint costs the same as a gallon of filtered apple cider vinegar. :( .
that's why I'm using water kefir.
I can make it by the 1/2 gal for the cost of a TBSP of sugar and a small handful of raisins.
Has the probiotics of vinegar and I drink it too :)

katiebear":1jikvvxw said:
The one's with the Mother are all expensive around here too. Amazing how adding something to a product can make the price skyrocket.
I just found this , but I don't believe I will be trying it just because of the length of time it would take. I did find it interesting though. http://makezine.com/craft/in_the_kitche ... arod_make/

i have some bottles I started last year, afraid to drink them, lol, don't want to poison myself, but the mother is a big mass at the bottom.

What are some of the health benefits from using ACV?

I just started using Bragg's unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar (bought two 32 oz bottles online) two weeks ago when my first two litters were kindled. Here are some of the things that I read about it... (I make no guarantees, this is just what I've found from many sources.)

1) Reduces the amount of ammonia in urine, decreasing the odor.

2) May help prevent urinary tract infections

3) May improve digestion and increase nutrient absorption levels throughout the G.I tract.

4) May help to regulate pH levels, this also benefits skin infections and weepy eyes.

5) May boost fertility rates and reduce infant mortality in rabbits.

6) May reduce parasites, including mites and fleas.

7) Is a natural cure for mastitis, backed up by veterinary studies.

8) ACV is safe for rabbits of any age and even pregnant rabbits can benefit from the vitamins and minerals it offers.

9) Rabbits like the taste of ACV and drink more water, resulting in better hydrated rabbits.

It supposedly contains a variety of vitamins, minerals and beneficial enzymes.

I've read more than one report of people who were having difficulty breeding their rabbits and tried ACV. After about a week on the ACV the breeding problems disappeared.

It does affect the taste of the water so most people recommend starting with no more than one tablespoon of ACV per gallon of water. You can gradually increase that to two tablespoons per gallon as the rabbits adapt to it. Mine seem to be drinking more water since I started adding ACV. I'm up to 1 1/4 tablespoon per gallon and plan to eventually boost it to 2 tbsp/gallon.

My wife has studied aromatherapy and the use of 'natural' products. She tells me I can buy the cheaper apple cider vinegar and simply add a bit of the Bragg's unfiltered (with the "Mother"), set it aside at room temperature for a week or two, and have the same thing at a much lower cost. She says it will grow like yeast in the regular ACV. Just be sure you get real apple cider vinegar and not a "colored and flavored" white vinegar. There is a difference.

From what I've read and what I've been told on this forum, I think it is safe. I think it certainly won't hurt and I do believe it may help. Plus, if you "grow your own" the cost is close to nothing.

rtower":vm6nejl6 said:
My wife has studied aromatherapy and the use of 'natural' products. She tells me I can buy the cheaper apple cider vinegar and simply add a bit of the Bragg's unfiltered (with the "Mother"), set it aside at room temperature for a week or two, and have the same thing at a much lower cost. She says it will grow like yeast in the regular ACV. Just be sure you get real apple cider vinegar and not a "colored and flavored" white vinegar. There is a difference.

From what I've read and what I've been told on this forum, I think it is safe. I think it certainly won't hurt and I do believe it may help. Plus, if you "grow your own" the cost is close to nothing.

That's what I started doing - good to hear I am not the only one! ;) I am able to use it in all of the animal waterers around here that way (chickens, rabbits, cats, dogs - and sometimes I will even mix up a gallon with a dash of sugar in it for me).

Back