measured feed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
My basic premise with rabbits is feed them enough so they have a wee bit left over in their bowls. Trusting MOST rabbits to not over eat.

I've learned that some rabbits will overeat so therefore fed them a measured amount.

THAT SAID>...

I used to feed a 15-16% protein feed.
I know feed at 19% protein.

My buns (except for one) are looking good but I find that the 19% is probably too high a ratio for my mini rex and holland lops so am looking to do measured feed for them.

How do I ensure that they are getting enough to be healthy and happy, and yet not overeating?

I've moved most of them to a 1/2 cup/day feed. and that seems to be suiting most but I've two bucks that eat everything by the time I come out in the evening again. The one I know I could give another 1/2 cup of feed to and he'd eat it all up and still look good. he's a busy lad, but does he NEED more than 1/2 cup? The other has just been here a month and I've learned he does a bit of scrabbling, but he always acts hungry. he also is a very busy boy.

They get a tbsp or two of oats/BOSS every three days or so.

they get a good handful (just enough to finish it without wasting) of hay every day but Sunday when they get an apple branch or two instead.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

I'd add more hay over more pellets personally if they are looking good on the measured feed

Seems right on to me. I feed ALL of my rabbits measured 18% feed. We have a Mini Rex and his daily ration is 1/4 cup in summer and 1/2 cup in winter. I don't typically increase feed in winter, but this guy was starting to get a little too thin for my liking. Hollands aren't much bigger. Anything more than 1/2 cup is overkill.

I feed mine 3/4 cup of %16 feed a day. Usually - most is gone for the next night.

I give them a small scoop of oats or sweet feed EVERY night. I rotate everyday between the oats and sweetfeed. The does with litters - or a litter due within three days also get a couple pinches of BOSS.

I also like them to have hay that lasts them for the full day as well - i used to not feed as much hay. But ive learnt who eats what amount of hay for the next day.

My rabbits seem to be in condition - and not overweight.

Latest posts

Back