apple twigs?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridgerunner1965

Reaction score
i have been feeding my rabbits some apple twigs, they really like them.i mean really.is this a good food for them? anybody else feed them?they eat the bark off them almost completely.i also feed them a quality pellet that they like and some alfalfa crabgrass hay.

Yes, appple twigs are great. Also elm, sycamore, poplar, willow, mulberry. See the SAFE PLANTS list at the top of the Natural Feeding section for lots of plants you can feed to add variety to your rabbits' diet.

a tasty and healthy treat but they would not be ideal if that was all that was fed ;)

My current rabbits are not wild about them. They prefer the others I mentioned, particularly poplar and willow.

Brody, I agree with you. These twigs are only one item in a rabbit's diet, but they are a nice addition to the other things Ridgerunner is feeding.

Apple branches are wonderful for buns. We have an apple tree in our front yard so my Pie gets a steady supply to help keep his teeth from overgrowing- he strips them of bark in no-time flat. Nibble, nibble, nibble. :)
I have yet to try poplar and willow branches. I'll add them to my list of "safe stuff" for my bun to nibble on.

eco2pia":12x0sln0 said:
Am I the only person whose crazy rabbits won't touch apple twigs/leaves?
We have one buck who will NOT eat apple...leaves, twigs, fruit. I swear he'd die of starvation first. Everyone else pretty much thinks I'm giving them cocaine or something. my goodness but it's a mob scene when the branches go in the pens.

Sure, save some for the BBQ...
Yummm, almost time to find out where I left that damn thing again,
best I have locally is alder or birch, still adds a nice smoke to the meat

Makes me wonder, can you slow smoke rabbit, or is it too lean?

Back