Marking behavior getting worse

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss M

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
This is Aslan, our house bunny:

Aslan_zps0awczxjb.jpg

Here he is being silly:

http://vid1239.photobucket.com/albums/f ... uxldbf.mp4

He came to us at 3 years of age about 9 months ago, having previously been kept in a hutch in a carport. We brought him inside, and bought a concrete mixing bin for him that we stock with pine pellets and shavings. When we're away or asleep, we put a bottomless cage over it and bungee it down. While the house is open to him, he stays in one room. Because the open expanse he would have to cross to get anywhere else is just too intimidating, I think. :roll: That's okay with me... I really don't want him dashing across my path and getting tangled in my feet as I carry a pot of pasta to the sink to drain. (I'm not sure if he's suicidal or homicidal... it's hard to tell.)

We've worked with him on the chewing of bookcases and tables and chairs, and with his leaving of small puddles here, there, and yon. He is very free with his bunny berries. At first, he put most of them in his bin, but not anymore. The puddle situation has recently taken a turn for the worse. He'll pee somewhere outside his bin once or twice a day now. When we find a puddle, we catch him, take him to it so he knows what the issue is, give a sharp "no", and confine him to his cage for a while.

His situation has not changed. Pinto (our wry-neck house rabbit who is not in the same room) was here before him. It does not matter whether his bedding is fresh or needs changing. When we come in from the rabbitry, we are subject to a thorough inspection -- and if we smell like doe, he'll usually try to find a part of one of us to breed. :?

It's all the same, but the bunny berries and puddles are becoming more frequent. When we deposit him in his cage, he'll sometimes give a flick or two of his heels or thump, as if to defy us. Then he'll sit there looking at us like, "Fine. I prefer it in here." Until he's been in there long enough to start begging to be let back out.

The other day, he made the mistake of nipping my husband's finger, when he reached down to pick him up. Now he's on probation, almost -- in danger of losing his cushy house rabbit gig and ending up in the rabbitry.

So... any ideas? He can be so sweet, but this is starting to drive us all buggy.

First suggestion would be to get him neutered if it's feasible.

Otherwise, I would love to hear ideas since I'm also dealing with a buck who went from being very 'neat' to making a mess. :/

Of course, it could be in part due to the fact he's housed close to a bunch of does... his daughters (the cad).

I've been wondering if it was worth taking the chance getting him neutered. It costs $92, which is about 1/3 the price I was expecting. I have read that at this age, neutering may make no difference in his behavior, so I've been a bit hesitant to drop that sort of money (even though it's a lot less than I expected) on a procedure that may not make anything better. Anybody have a good outcome with a 4-year-old buck being neutered?

Syberchick70":nrpep4tc said:
Of course, it could be in part due to the fact he's housed close to a bunch of does... his daughters (the cad).
:lol:

I've just purchased some plastic newborn pants... I'm going to try that and see how they work, just for his floor time. I'll report back.

As an aside, I did try diapers.. :x nicht gut. He showed his displeasure by always leaving a rather nasty wad of cecals mixed with scent gland extract and spray. :sick:

But I'm hoping that was, in part, because it was tight and uncomfortable.

Fingers crossed.

Syberchick70":htb53uvq said:
As an aside, I did try diapers.. :x nicht gut. He showed his displeasure by always leaving a rather nasty wad of cecals mixed with scent gland extract and spray. :sick:
:sick: :x

Syberchick70":htb53uvq said:
I've just purchased some plastic newborn pants... I'm going to try that and see how they work, just for his floor time. I'll report back.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, but I think having a rabbit running around the house in baby trunks would push my poor hubby over the edge! :p

Syberchick70":2gquiy75 said:
:sick: :x

Syberchick70":2gquiy75 said:
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, but I think having a rabbit running around the house in baby trunks would push my poor hubby over the edge! :p

katiebear":3ibknewe said:
Syberchick70":3ibknewe said:
The diaper was pretty funny...
10269457_436911396456285_6786822562263758693_n.jpg

Caption this photo..."You will never get a date again"{ She whispers in his ear..) :lol: .

HAHAHAAHA

She was actually saying "I wub you... I wub you soooo much!!!! Me so ho...." errr uh... yeah. I better stop there. ;) :oops:

I had a 4yr old buck neutered... I dont think i should have bothered! He still sprays, sits in his own pee... wont use a litter tray...
He now has a girlfriend that he humps continuously, so im not sure it will work out between them... he is still grumpy and grunty, and will bite if he gets the chance.
So I didnt have any luck im afraid!

The 'plastic pants' didn't work at all. They were too big and loose.
He sprayed.. it went everywhere :x

Bad bunny...

:lol: I do the same thing with my rabbits! After Prin had an accident in the house, both rabbits are now doomed to dipers while inside. :lol: (I would put a picture, but sadly it says it is 24 pixels to big. :( )

Imogen Rose":3c4yq9ff said:
I had a 4yr old buck neutered... I dont think i should have bothered! He still sprays, sits in his own pee... wont use a litter tray...
He now has a girlfriend that he humps continuously, so im not sure it will work out between them... he is still grumpy and grunty, and will bite if he gets the chance.
So I didnt have any luck im afraid!
Aw. :( *sigh* I'm really going to have to consider whether I'll sink the money into the operation, then.

Syberchick70":3c4yq9ff said:
The 'plastic pants' didn't work at all. They were too big and loose.
He sprayed.. it went everywhere :x

Bad bunny...
:sick: I will definitely not try this.

Easy Ears":3c4yq9ff said:
:lol: I do the same thing with my rabbits! After Prin had an accident in the house, both rabbits are now doomed to dipers while inside. :lol: (I would put a picture, but sadly it says it is 24 pixels to big. :( )
You should be able to open the picture up in Microsoft Paint, and resize it there. :p

Easy Ears":3pykxdrb said:

Do you have an issue with bunnies leaving a really gross mess in the diaper? :x

HOWsMom":22nz9om4 said:
are they regular baby diapers, or the ones shaped for dogs ?
I wonder if the ones for animals may be better shaped than the ones for humans ?

The regular baby diapers work ok as far as shape goes (newborn or preemie) but it's not something I recommend.
I can't imagine they're very comfortable for the bunnies and my buck would leave a nasty mess in his... I guess maybe a mixture of cecals / spray / poops.... :sick: I mean dude, it was gross. It's not like I left it on him for long either.

I stopped doing it after 2 or 3 times.

Back