white rabbit enchiladas

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiebear

Reaction score
enchiladas_183044.jpgI've got a great recipe for those of us who do not care for regular enchilada sauce...This sauce is wow...and high in calories but hey...it's enchiladas....this makes 24 that's two 9 x 13 pans serves 10 or so..

Sauce
6 Tbs butter
6 Tbs flour
4 cups rabbit broth
2 cups sour cream
1 cup chopped green chiles

Filling
4 cups shredded rabbit
2 cups shredded jack or colby-jack cheese
1 minced onion
1 cup chopped green chilies
24 corn tortillas
1 cup oil for frying tortillas

cook and shred rabbit reserving broth for sauce. I like to use whole green chilies and chop them coarse.one large can will give you the two cups total.
fry tortillas to soften drain on paper towels. roll a spoonful of rabbit,onion, green chilies and cheese in each tortilla place seam side down about 12 per pan.when pans are full make sauce
over med heat in sauce pan combine melted butter and flour cook for i min. after bubbling .stir in broth cook until thick and bubbling.remove from heat stir in remaining green chilies,and sour cream. Ladle over enchiladas top with cheese. bake for about 25 min at 350* brown under broiler for 5 min.

This sounds great. The sauce would be good in a number of dishes.

I can sometimes be very literal. When I saw this post, my first thought was, "do white rabbits have a different flavour than other colors of rabbits? ". White rabbits=great enchiladas, agouti=good for chili, blue=sweet&sour, etc. I think I need another nap...

I have a quick tip for shredding rabbit or chicken..after boning. use your small mixer. Works like a charm and you get a fine shred. No more tired forearms from the two fork method... :D

Oh boy, I see these in our future... probably our favorite rabbit dish is- you guessed it- enchiladas! We have always made them with red sauce, though.

the reluctant farmer":16cddso2 said:
When I saw this post, my first thought was, "do white rabbits have a different flavour than other colors of rabbits? ". White rabbits=great enchiladas, agouti=good for chili, blue=sweet&sour, etc.

Ba-ha-ha-haaah!!! :coffee-screen:

But it's the red rabbits you use for chili- and the spiciest ones of all are red Satins. ;)

Oh, this looks great! :p

the reluctant farmer":25rctmbn said:
I can sometimes be very literal. When I saw this post, my first thought was, "do white rabbits have a different flavour than other colors of rabbits? ". White rabbits=great enchiladas, agouti=good for chili, blue=sweet&sour, etc.
:lol: That was my first thought, too! "You have to make 'em with white rabbits?"

katiebear":25rctmbn said:
I have a quick tip for shredding rabbit or chicken..after boning. use your small mixer. Works like a charm and you get a fine shred. No more tired forearms from the two fork method... :D
That's great! :)

heated up pan #2 for dinner tonight..Yummy...the sauce soaked in more and was really delicious ..this one is a keeper folks... :D <br /><br /> __________ Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:52 pm __________ <br /><br />
katiebear":jwbnk8tf said:
I've got a great recipe for those of us who do not care for regular enchilada sauce...This sauce is wow...and high in calories but hey...it's enchiladas....this makes 24 that's two 9 x 13 pans serves 10 or so..

Sauce
6 Tbs butter
6 Tbs flour
4 cups rabbit broth
2 cups sour cream
1 cup chopped green chiles

Filling
4 cups shredded rabbit
2 cups shredded jack or colby-jack cheese
1 minced onion
1 cup chopped green chilies
24 corn tortillas
1 cup oil for frying tortillas

cook and shred rabbit reserving broth for sauce. I like to use whole green chilies and chop them coarse.one large can will give you the two cups total.
fry tortillas to soften drain on paper towels. roll a spoonful of rabbit,onion, green chilies and cheese in each tortilla place seam side down about 12 per pan.when pans are full make sauce
over med heat in sauce pan combine melted butter and flour cook for i min. after bubbling .stir in broth cook until thick and bubbling.remove from heat stir in remaining green chilies,and sour cream. Ladle over enchiladas top with cheese. bake for about 25 min at 350* brown under broiler for 5 min.

Making this for dinner tonight...got a bun in the crock pot!!

Thanks for this recipe Katibear! Gwen made it for dinner last night, delicious. The only substitution was the use of ground rabbit meat instead of shredded.

Thanks Joe! I have been making your orange bunny for a while now...My 6 year old grandson LOVES it I serve it with fried rice.Yum. I am going to make the enchiladas for my son and daughter in law later this wee, it will be her first rabbit dinner..I am so excited!! :D

Latest posts

Back