Ugh, chestnut. What colour is on your 'worst dressed' list?!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TF3

Reaction score
Seriously... I am so over chestnut. :lol:
I am sure that there are devotees, but as I await litters from my chestnut meat mutts and look at a litter of chestnut kits, I am so bored with chestnut being so dominant!
(ya, I totally know *why* but I don't have to like it~!)
I bred the does to my lovely broken NZR and my Cali and chances are I'm going to have two nestboxes full of chestnuts,
when I really would love a baby doe in red or pointed white... so I can keep them and sell their mamas! :p :p

{at least my REW NZ/Satin cross was bred to a NZW so we'll have some REW to break up the current monotony... and our little HLop doe due in a few weeks without a chestnut gene in sight!)

What colour do you *not* want to see in your nestbox any time soon?!

TF3":y1l76lmw said:
Seriously... I am so over chestnut. :lol:

I am not a fan of chestnut in Rex (which is called castor) but I LOVE it in Satins (where it is called Copper).

TF3":y1l76lmw said:
What colour do you *not* want to see in your nestbox any time soon?!

I don't have any colors that I don't like. An occasional castor pops up in my Rex litters since I do breed opals, but they are rare enough that they are a novelty. I also get the occasional REW, but again they are rare and they have kind of grown on me.

I don't know. It's kinda grown on me. The darker ones can be really lovely. I'm keeping a chestnut doe by my lilac rex buck and I plan on breeding her back to him. I can't wait to see the chestnut/black/opal/blue/amber/chocolate/lilac/lynx kits I get plus either REW or Himi. It's going to be alot of fun.

OH OH I know. STEEL!!! I love the color of a well marked steel but...it's just so darned easy for it to hide and pop up where it's not wanted.

I'm not enthusiastic about chestnut ether. I LOVE Chocolate agouti though. But if there was one color that I could do with out it would be REW

Steel in my Satins. It's a curse! No one wants that in their show lines, nor should they. Have to sell them for meat. No one around here thinks anything other than NZW are meat rabbits, so they don't sell..Then they act all sweet and lovey, and now I have a spare steel buck... :lol:

I don't breed boring colored rabbits :lol: I don't like to end up with himi or rew but if you want to make sables it's necessary to have a few of these to deal with. Since I've moved to culling in favor of the agouti genes rather than breeding self sables I don't have to keep those colors around and I don't get any full color rabbits from my current ones. Nearly everything is some weird combo of agouti with chin or sable except a few self sables. There is the potential for rew if I linebreed to my sable chin buck that I am not happy about but fairly easily avoided on any large scale. Marten might be floating around in the gene pool that I'd prefer not to have but it still doesn't lead to boring or unappealing colored rabbits. Just not a preferred color.

I am SO over white... but I breed only NZW right now soooo... :roll:

Sali":3eqw5i5f said:
I am SO over white... but I breed only NZW right now soooo... :roll:
:lol: That's going to be me! I get bored so easily that who knows how long it will last... especially since I played around with some colors right off the bat. Part of me wants to keep it super simple with NZWs - especially since I know I will be less likely to become attached to a particular rabbit just because of looks. My primary reason for raising rabbits was meat - little did I know the world I would be entering :lol:

Yes, I learned quickly that both steel and harlequin can be really pernicious!
I am coming around to admiring a nice white, but I imagine I'll continue to play with colours in our meat mutts just because it is fun!
I got a gold tipped steel in a litter, but it is the runt, and I am totally breeding again in hopes of another I can keep!
I *do* find it much easier not to attach to kits when they all look alike!

EnglishSpot":3hivsgdk said:
TF3":3hivsgdk said:

That is so true.

I have to agree. The only reason it has lasted this long anyway. But I hope for that to change really soon.

Sali":1xhisbrv said:
EnglishSpot":1xhisbrv said:
TF3":1xhisbrv said:

That is so true.

I have to agree. The only reason it has lasted this long anyway. But I hope for that to change really soon.
I spoke too soon - the receptionist at our dentist's office actually bought one of my baby rabbits from a local F&S store (round about conversation with the hygienist connected those dots) - she had a "rescue" Chinchilla rabbit that she got as a pet for her son but she is very much a "hands off" rabbit so she called today and asked if I wanted her. Guess I am getting a bit more color now :roll:

Easy Ears":2lhj6t7l said:
I dislike REW, or solid black or white....I like color!! <3 Thankfully I don't get these in my herd though.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I really really like broken markings and don't care what color as long as it disrupts that darned white a bit.

REW is probably my favorite. I have angoras, so that fluffy, shiny white is awesome. I love Black, Blue, Fawn.... Opal is always nice... I like all colors, really. But, there was a time when I had so many Black Pearl (aa B_ Cchd_ D_ ee in angora) that I starting thinking of them as little rats. I still don't care for that color, though it's only because I saw too much of it.

I adore Castor (chestnut in Rex), but I generally dislike how chestnut looks in any other breeds, except Angora.

REW is high on my yuck list, had my first group of them in three years. Unless they are perfect they are high on my cull list.

Any self colors-- especially Black! I find those boring, my eye needs pattern, but not brokens. if I am going to keep a solid self it needs to be dilute.

My Castors carry all sorts of genes they give me all sorts of colors, one of the reasons I like them is they can carry a load of recessives, I like to stack the genetic deck, means I can get more color choices out of a small number of rabbits.

I have been surprised by how I have come to love the Sable gene. And, I love Sable Chinchilla, even though it is not yet a recognized color for the FA.

I really don't think I cull more of any one color unless the color isn't presenting as I'd like it too.

skysthelimit":187hluab said:
My Castors carry all sorts of genes they give me all sorts of colors, one of the reasons I like them is they can carry a load of recessives, I like to stack the genetic deck, means I can get more color choices out of a small number of rabbits.

ooh! That is true!
I was just thinking about how dominant it is... but my chestnut meat mutt just had two kits with my Cali buck and they appear to be a pointed white and a dilute self!

I like the Castor rex because it doesn't look at all like plain old wild chestsnut.
I am just in the process of buying a lilac buck and broken black doe and I love that I can get all the self colours out of them :D

My eye really enjoys the shaded colours but my brain finds them so complicated LOL

Latest posts

Back