carrot tops!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I'd forgotten about a package of carrots in the bag. They sat for about a week. When I remembered them, they were not good for eating really...but the tops...oooOOOOoo. they'd started to grow. So I cut them off and put them in pans of shallow water. And by golly...the tops are growing beautiful greens :) the rabbits are very happy right now.

My plan is to just place the tops that I cut off (and had been feeding as treats) into pans of water and then snipping off the greens as they grow :) I've been trying to grow some sweet potato vines, and so far that experiment is going well.

if the carrot is not edible, butstill 'sound' would it rot if you planted the whole thing? Looks tome like I now have an experiment in the making...

But why would a carrot not be edible--unless it was rotten? Am I eating inedible carrots?! Oh no!

Yeah, should re-sprout, and eventually go to seed--that is the plant's plan anyway.

eco2pia said:
But why would a carrot not be edible--unless it was rotten? Am I eating inedible carrots?! Oh no!
quote]
I was thinking of the 'slime factor' involved when carrots are kept in a bag and forgotten bout-- at what point is there too much slime? ( I think I just triggered a bout of nausea thinking abut it!)

Sounds great! I have started some sprouts for me, but should make a pan for the rabbits too (they get fresh carrot peels, celery leaves, and kale when I buy too much)-

I just took some of my feed grade BOSS, soaked a half cup overnight, and spread them in a planting saucer (like what goes under a pot to catch water) with a bit of soil, and they are slowly peeking up. I water them once or twice a day, and dont have to "remember to rinse them 2-3 times a day" like sprouter seeds normally require to stay slime-free.

I do not feed my rabbits the celery tops, as I eat them myself. I cut them up with the rest of the celery when making soup, sauces, etc.
I have grown carrot tops for bunnies, as well as my friend. I use a lot of carrots (as I grow my own), so I don't keep trimming the carrot greens off. I just grow a bunch in a used tin pie plate ( with no holes) with a bit of water, topping up the water when needed. When they grow pretty big I just feed it to the bunnies, knowing that I will have more carrot tops soon. In winter I put in the sunniest window. Happy growing!

my garden is growing carrot tops again :)
I have Molly, Harry, Hermione and Puff Daddy here for the week and they are THRILLED already - apple branches and willow have been the bulk of their fresh diet over the last little while

Back