I've committed.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
After having read here and all over the web about the care and raising of rabbits, (mostly here), I have finally determined I'm ready to get my feet wet. I want to keep just a few to provide some table fare for just myself, so I won't be having near as many as a lot of you do, probably just a buck and two does. Yesterday, I ordered some cages and a few other items I'll be needing to get started. And, I have checked out a lot of online suppliers of grain, plus local sources for pellets and hay. I have a veggie garden, (15' X 30'), which I began last year that I intend to raise some of the rabbit's food in. It didn't produce very well last year. Anyone who has turned over lawn sod to establish a veggie garden would understand that. But, this year it's doing a lot better, and I hope for continued improvement from that, especially since I am intending to expand it next year. Plus, I have one of the worst lawns around, full of a variety of weeds! The neighborhood wild rabbits forage in my yard all the time. They've even gotten used to me and generally don't run unless I get closer than 10 - 15 feet. I also planted a few pear trees, grape vines, blueberry bushes, and a crab-apple, which I hope can also provide some of their feeding in the future. I already have an abundance of wild blackberries. The stand which I have allowed to grow for my own use needs to be trimmed back and thinned, so it'll give them something to nibble on. My next step is to build the structure I have planned to hold the cages, before my cages arrive, which should be in 4 - 5 weeks. I have a nice spot picked out against the back of my house which is under the canopy of a couple of red cedar trees. It's fairly well protected from the worst of the elements. And, since the house insulation isn't the finest, it will also tend to moderate temperature extremes for them. I am considering getting some tarps to have available to wrap around the cages in the event of strong winds, especially in the winter. I think I have most of my bases covered. If not, please don't hesitate to let me know. After I get it all set up, I'll look harder for some breeders. I've done some searching locally, and I have seen that there's almost always some listed for sale locally. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll find suitable bloodlines to work with.

Good luck with the bunny hobby, sounds you've got some great things going for your rabbits. And I'm sure your veggie garden will continue to grow - especially fast if you decide to make use of the rabbit droppings for it. Be careful - grapes are poisonous to rabbits. Dandelions, which are common weeds, are excellent for rabbits though.

SableSteel":1jbkkkni said:
Good luck with the bunny hobby, sounds you've got some great things going for your rabbits. And I'm sure your veggie garden will continue to grow - especially fast if you decide to make use of the rabbit droppings for it. Be careful - grapes are poisonous to rabbits. Dandelions, which are common weeds, are excellent for rabbits though.

I was intending on feeding them leaves and vines, not the fruit.

Stephanie":1fedeiqb said:
After having read here and all over the web about the care and raising of rabbits, (mostly here), I have finally determined I'm ready to get my feet wet. I want to keep just a few to provide some table fare for just myself, so I won't be having near as many as a lot of you do, probably just a buck and two does.

:roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

:laugh2: :laugh2: :rotfl:

Yeeaaahhh... you just keep telling yourself that ;)

(and just a 'head's up'... buy more cages) :D

Good luck and welcome to Rabbitosis 101

Susie570":u742r6te said:
Stephanie":u742r6te said:
After having read here and all over the web about the care and raising of rabbits, (mostly here), I have finally determined I'm ready to get my feet wet. I want to keep just a few to provide some table fare for just myself, so I won't be having near as many as a lot of you do, probably just a buck and two does.

:roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

:laugh2: :laugh2: :rotfl:

Yeeaaahhh... you just keep telling yourself that ;)

(and just a 'head's up'... buy more cages) :D

Good luck and welcome to Rabbitosis 101

Giggles!

I've ordered 3 cages so far. For a doe, the buck, and a grow-out cage. I do intend to get more, probably early next year. My current plan is to eventually have 3 doe cages, two buck cages, and 3 for grow-outs. I figured I'd need an extra cage for does and buck to raise replacement breeders. If things go as I am planning, I won't have need for more than 3 cages before then. I doubt I'll have any buns before late August. And, I need to quarantine them before proceeding to breed. And, I am trying to not breed in either extreme summer, or extreme winter. So, I shouldn't need any more until February or so.

Got my first rabbits just before Easter. My plan was two does and a buck, too. Now I have 3 does and 3 bucks. :lol:
It just kinda happens. :|
I'm looking forward to fall when it cools off and they'll all be old enough to start earning their keep.

RT is a good place. Lots of people happy to help. ;)

You are on your way.
We decided to get one male rabbit in the spring.
March 11 I brought home a pregnant doe.
We have 14 adults/breeding, a second litter in the best and 4 more expected this month.
And I'm picking up 2 more next week.
Just sayin'... The decline is fast with rabbitosis but painless and fin with lots of cuteness!

Build your structure in such a way that it can be expanded. Put it in a place with lots of room. Make it bigger than you think you need. Put it in a convenient place- a place you don't mind romping to in the dead of winter to change water a few times a day.

My advice above is base on likelihood that, if you stay with rabbits, you WILL get more. Keep that in mind as you plan and you won't build yourself into a corner.

Good luck!

Marinea":94kpz4ft said:
Build your structure in such a way that it can be expanded. Put it in a place with lots of room. Make it bigger than you think you need. Put it in a convenient place- a place you don't mind romping to in the dead of winter to change water a few times a day.

My advice above is base on likelihood that, if you stay with rabbits, you WILL get more. Keep that in mind as you plan and you won't build yourself into a corner.

Good luck!

I have. There's enough available space in that location to nearly double what I am intending. I am building a system of racks with 2 x 4's to hold cages. Each rack will be built to hold a specific cage size, 30 X 24, 36 X 24, or 48 X 24. There will be sloped manure trays under each cage, and both the trays and the cages will be easily removable. That will make cleaning after a cage has been vacated a lot easier, since I can remove the cage to another area and thoroughly clean it without danger of splashing anything on the other cages. Plus, extra cages are already in my plan so I could move a bun to a different cage and clean their existing one. The entire structure will have a slanted roof over it. I can easily go up one more cage level and there's also space on the end to add another rack or two.
Like I said, my intention is only to provide meat for myself, and I live alone. How many could I possibly use? (Don't laugh too hard at that. :thinking:) However, if by chance a market should develop for fryers from those I work with, I won't refuse the possibility of earning a little profit along the way.

Back