Pleasant surprise....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owlsfriend

Reaction score
I've had American Blues for several years now, raised a few litters,but mostly just gathering the breeding stock from around the country. AmB's are a heritage meat breed that was almost lost after WW2 because of the white meat rabbit explosion. (They were called "Vienna Blue" prior to WW2 and are considered the first breed of rabbit developed in the US)

Well, I am ramping up my meat production rabbits. Since I have 3 bucks, and nine does, I've been breeding three does on the same day so there will be foster opportunities if needed. With another set of three every two weeks. This way I can have the first trio breed back when their kits have their eyes open. (If I'm doing my bunny math right.)

Yesterday I went out bright and early to find 7 warm wigglers on the wire. Mom-Dolly had not made any nest whatsoever, so I threw a handful of straw in the box and started putting babies in it. Dolly was unhappy with my interference, grunting and trying to nose between me and the babies. I was afraid she would step on them, so backed off and let her calm down a bit. Eventually I had 7 happy babies in the box. Then I turned to Dee Lorianne. She was due at the same minute, but no nest action there either....well, they'd both put their straw through the cage floor into their pooh pans...so I gave Dee Lorianne another handful of straw and she immediately went Haystash Wack-o.

It was a first litter for her, but she'd just watched how NOT to do it, and her instincts were definitely kicking in, so I left her to it. Later, checking on Dolly's kits, all were fat and snoozing. It looked like Dee had FILLED her entire box with clouds of pulled fur! I've been tricked by this before.....I pulled the box from her cage and dug down. Sure enough! We had wigglers....I moved a mountain of fur to one side and was shocked as could be to see a white in the sea of blue!!!! I counted 9 but that was a rough count, could be more. I was so surprised, I just put the box back and covered the kits...snagging a little bit of fluff for Dolly's kits...not that they were cold, but their empty box just looked a little bleak....

So. Wahoo! I knew there was a possibility of throwing a REW, (accepted color) or a black (not an accepted color) but I didn't think I'd get one from my rabbits. That'll show me! lol

The best part, because your blue is out of two blue parents, if it's bred to a blue, it should throw just blues and maybe whites. Since black is a dominant color, you will only ever see blacks out of whites that are not genetically blue underneath. :)
(black is dominant, but rew masks everything)

Back