NZW

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SableSteel

Reaction score
Which one looks best?
Same rabbit, just posed/photographed differently. Born early February. Only asking because I haven't photographed commercial rabbits before, and I was practicing... I was thinking A was the best, but I wanted to be sure I had picture taking down before I went and did the rest of them... (also I know the hand there in A is annoying, but it was starting to thunder out and she was getting flighty)

KWFG2Nf.png

A

Here is a check list of how to pose compact and commercial breeds - from - http://www.thenaturetrail.com/rabbit-ju ... -for-show/

1. Turn the rabbit to face your right and place your right hand gently over the head.

2. With your left hand, position the front feet so they are directly below the eyes and flat on the ground.

3. Position the hind feet so they are directly below the hips.

4. Without distorting the feet placement, tuck the rabbit’s hindquarters up just enough that the body is compact and rounded. The rabbit should not be stretched out or too tucked up.

5. Place ears and tail in proper position for the breed.

B is not tucked up enough

C has the front feet too far forward

In the picture your doe looks like she has more of a mandolin shape and her rise is a bit late - if this is inaccurate and she actually doesn't have weak shoulders you should try and pose her to bulk up the shoulder area and her rise may move forward a bit

Weak shoulders are weak shoulders :shrug:

If she was a white Flemish (with a Mandolin/semi arch body type) her shoulders would be a bit strong

I know she isn't a perfect rabbit, and probably not even a super good one, but NZW are not supposed to look like a basketball... they are commercial, not compact... their high point is supposed to be over the center of the hips, not the center of the body, and they are supposed to be longer than they are deep. They are a medium length rabbit, not a short length (examples of short length ones would be mini lops and mini rex.)

I agree they are not supposed to look like a basketball, maybe a rectangular and a blocked off basketball ;)

Your doe needs more muscle in her shoulders - it is a common fault in many commercial type meat breeds so don't beat you self up about it or get overly defensive

I don't know why you want a critique on how she is posed (for a sales ad? to represent your breeding stock? ) but I'm giving you my opinion based on the pictures you posted

If she doesn't have weak shoulders then work on her pose to properly display her conformation

If she does have weak shoulders then look to improve them in your next generations :shrug:

Thanks. I just wanted a picture to post on facebook, because it always needs more rabbits pictures ;) . I only plan to use her as a meat pen momma - my buck has very meaty shoulders and HQ but is a bit too shallow, even for a NZ imo, so I was just looking for a doe with a bit more depth when I got her. Its really hard to see in this picture, but her shoulders are wide and firm, though her loins are a bit hollow (but my buck doesn't have that, so I am hoping I can breed it out). But I'd figure I'd take a bunch of pictures and get an opinion here of which one I should post, so that I don't completely embarrass myself with it XD <br /><br /> __________ Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:13 am __________ <br /><br />
YiL99n3.jpg

0i3qszs.jpg

This is the buck, btw

Latest posts

Back