Grains in a pinch

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PulpFaction

Reaction score
I know that corn is generally not something most of us want to feed, but I have resorted to feeding COB because it offers a blend of grains without me having 100+ pounds of grain to store and mix at a time (and that would be just a two-grain mixture of oats and barley, each additional grain added would be 50# more to store and mix.)

It's not ideal, but if you have too few rabbits to utilize more than 50lbs at a time, it works. I have noticed no ill effects. In fact, I think the corn with its "hot" properties may actually have been good for my rabbits this winter.

Just something to think about if a natural diet seems too complicated or if the scale intimidates you.

(Disclaimer, I feed the grains as part of a diet that also includes alfalfa in one form or another, grass hay, mineral licks, and as many fresh foods as available, which, in the winter, is not many.)

I used to feed COB to the rabbits, but as corn prices rose it became cheaper to feed other grains. And the cracked corn in the COB was often very fine and dusty. The rabbits often left it behind and I'd toss it to the chickens. It never caused any problems, but that was before all the concerns about toxins. I'm not saying it is a bad thing to feed... just that I have more confidence in the other grains. My rabbits get wheat for the most part. The poultry does not like barley and the oats have those husks which seem to result in a lot of waste.

My rabbits never took to dried corn- cracked or not-- now soak it, so its nice and soft-- even offer the fresh cobs- hey, great. Just remember,as well, meat rabbits-- corn turns the fat yellow-- and some grass fed beef raisers I know insist that corn makes the meat taste 'sweet'- I do prefer the flavor of grass fed with no grain--...

Now, A fellow livestock auction attendee I talk to quite often says this " I feed myself and my dogs concentrated plant proteins"- of course, he is referring to meat!!!

Back