Bitten Kit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kotapony

Reaction score
Hello wise RTers! I have a new issue and could use some advise.

Scenario: I have 3 senior does and 1 buck (youngster, around 5 months so just starting to breed) together in an approximately 6x10 colony (indoors). This group has been together since last year, other than the buck who is from one of the does and has been in the colony all his life. Last January something hit the colony and I lost senior buck and all but 3 grow outs. I kept 1 of the grow outs who is now the colony buck.

I finally got a new litter a few days ago. Originally there were 6, when I found them 1 was out of the nest box on the floor of the colony already gone. I almost thought he had a bite mark on his chin, but then saw maggots were already into him on the back side so didn't think any more about it (I check them every morning but it's been so hot and humid it doesn't take the flies long). Rest of the kits were fine.

So now to my problem. I check the kits today, and one has bite marks all over his back:

main.php

They don't seem deep and he was wiggly and well fed this morning. I dug around and only found 4 kits. Saw no sign of the 5th till I saw movement in the front of the box and started digging there. I think he missed breakfast but he seems OK otherwise. I put him in the back with the rest. (Dark photo - it's rainy and dreary out this morning, but you can see the nest boxes I use. Kit was buried way at the front, the nest is in the back.)

main.php

But my concern is, who might be doing it and what to do about it? I wish now I'd paid more attention to the first kit I lost. Given the bites on this kit, I'm back to wondering if that really was a bite I saw on the dead kit. I haven't seen the buck bother the nest in any way, but he's my first thought to the culprit. The three does have all had several litters with no issues. I would not imagine one would suddenly be attacking kits.

I do have one senior doe that likes to hang out in the front of that box. She is definitely not mama though.

main.php

For now I've pulled the buck and put him in his own cage. I actually have a new buck I'm supposed to pick up in a few days, so if he is the culprit I have a backup plan. And I suppose with him removed if there are no more bites on the kits that gives me my answer. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this or has any thoughts.

Thanks all!

Rats?? Yipe! I suppose that makes more sense than one of the rabbits attacking the kits but I'm not at all sure what to do about it if it is rats.

The colony is in my calf barn which is home to around 3 barn cats already. There's too much traffic in and out there for my more skittish barn cats (the ones that are better hunters). They prefer the main dairy barn hay loft. No reason they couldn't wander over at night though.

Interestingly I never see rats around. This is a farm, I'm sure they're here. But I used to see them all the time - I couldn't walk in the milk parlor without seeing one scuttle out. And the cats left bodies around quite frequently. I'd think the lack of sightings at least indicates a reduced population.

Anyway, the colony isn't built in a way I can secure it from rats. I can't put bait out with all the other critters (plus 2 young kids!) running around. I'll have to ponder what to do on this one, but for now may have to be a wait and see...

Sigh. Always seems to be something lately! Every time I think I'm rolling with the buns again they get knocked back one way or another.

Back