Register

Howdy from South Central Texas

Site News, Announcements, Posting Guidelines and Introductions.
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 236.00

Howdy from South Central Texas

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Fire Ant Farm » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:02 pm

Just joined the forum, thought I'd say hi.

New to rabbits, planning to raise them for meat starting in January, so I'll be roaming around the forum gathering info as I plan my set up. (This forum has been so helpful already from browsing as a guest.) I'll be getting NZWs, two bucks and two does from the TAMUK rabbit program in Kingsville (so, relatively heat resistant rabbits with good features for the purpose). Currently scoping out my shady protected outside spot, planning my shed and PVC cage frame, and researching all the heat-abatement methods... (Though our weather has been nuts this year - lots of rain and a high of only 82F the other day!!! It should be 95-100 by now!)

Howdy!

- Ant Farm

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 6,353.00

Re: Howdy from South Central Texas

Post Number:#2  Unread postby EnglishSpot » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:30 pm

:welcome: Fire Ant Farm!!!!

I think most of us started as guests and couldn't resist the fine company and expertise on here!!

We love to hear about your plans, but remember, nothing is official without pictures!!! LOL!!!

Welcome welcome welcome!!
"Not doing anything is still making a choice."

Check out my rabbitry! http://www.facebook.com/SoaringGooseRabbits/

New Blog: https://soaringgooserabbits.wordpress.com/

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 15,234.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby alforddm » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:53 pm

Fire Ant Farm...the name made me chuckle. I know the feeling. Welcome to the forum from far Southeast Oklahoma!

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:23 pm

Howdy Fire Ant Farm! :cowboy:

:welcomewagon:

:thinking: Hmm... we have as members "The Reluctant Farmer", "Michaels4Gardens", "OneAcreFarm", "Heritage Homestead", and "Beekeeper"... but I do believe you are our very first "Ant Farmer".

You, umm, couldn't have found a gentler species to work with? African army ants, perhaps? No?

Ah, well, to each his own. I'm sure you will find that we are very accepting here to our members idiosyncrasies- even those that raise *shudder* fire ants.

Since you seem to like living on the edge when it comes to critters, might I suggest that in addition to your TAMUK rabbits you also get a few Satins? They really help to keep the blood flowing.

And flowing... and flowing. ;)
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 21,202.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Marinea » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:38 pm

Fire Ant Farm?? So, you're to blame for them?? I'll forgive you if you keep them out of Virginia. :)

Welcome to RT!
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Female

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Fire Ant Farm » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:08 pm

Alas, it is not my INTENTION to farm fire ants. It just sometimes seems like they are the thing that multiplies best on my little plot - hence the name. Interestingly, it's really ALL ants. By morphology alone, I have at least 12 or 13, maybe more, DIFFERENT types of ants in my yard or invading the corners of my raised beds... And I think several types of fire ants among those. It's a mark of a good ecosystem I guess. (And because I have lots of ants, I don't have fleas or ticks in my yard. I don't mind that trade off.) You know it's bad when you start getting used to the fire ant bites and don't even notice them - I actually think I'm starting to build up an immunity.

Once things dry off a bit, and I find the next big mound, I'm putting the chicken tractor on it and letting the chickens go after them. Protein.... :roll:

- Ant Farm

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,983.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby the reluctant farmer » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:28 pm

Marinea wrote:Fire Ant Farm?? So, you're to blame for them?? I'll forgive you if you keep them out of Virginia. :)
That was my reaction, too. I was getting ready to put a :hex: here to keep them from spreading!

Fire Ant Farm wrote:You know it's bad when you start getting used to the fire ant bites and don't even notice them
Ooh, that is bad. :shock:

Fire Ant Farm wrote:- I actually think I'm starting to build up an immunity.
Oh, well that is good. Especially since you're farming the little suckers.

Fire Ant Farm wrote:Once things dry off a bit, and I find the next big mound, I'm putting the chicken tractor on it and letting the chickens go after them. Protein...
And that is smart. :lol:

I will now use the powers of my mind to gain control of the weather so I can send the upper 90 degree temps we've been having your way so you can get back to normal, dry out those mounds and feed the chickens. You may send your low 80's here to Georgia in exchange. Anyway, welcome to RT, and good to have you here!

Female

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Fire Ant Farm » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:40 pm

the reluctant farmer wrote:I will now use the powers of my mind to gain control of the weather so I can send the upper 90 degree temps we've been having your way so you can get back to normal, dry out those mounds and feed the chickens. You may send your low 80's here to Georgia in exchange. Anyway, welcome to RT, and good to have you here!

I actually wouldn't mind that at this point. All my carefully selected heat loving, drought resistant heirloom vegetable varieties are really, really miserable right now, and all my citrus is threatening root rot... :shock:

- Ant Farm

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 56,231.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Miss M » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:49 pm

Hi, Fire Ant Farm! :hi:

I'm on two acres in South Louisiana, so I know all too well your fire ant woes!

You are in the right place to learn about raising meat rabbits. It's good to have you on board! :)
We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

Female
BunnyBucks: 1,040.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby fhjmom » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:11 pm

Howdy!! I also from Texas, but if we measured by the size of other states, I'm probably at least three states away (I'm right at the base of the Panhandle)! LOL!!!

We have some great rabbit folks in Texas! Welcome to RabbitTalk!
Tamara :)
Backstage Rabbitry
http://www.backstagerabbitry.com

BunnyBucks: 5,920.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby funnies50 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:09 pm

Welcome to RT! :lol: :welcome: Great to have you here. You'll love it. :)