Loosing fur!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

II Arrows

Reaction score
I have 2 bucks that are loosing fur, a lot of fur! The past few day I've noticed little tufts of fur in and around my NZW's cage. I really didn't think much about it until I kept on noticing it day after day. I don't see any bald spots or anything on him. My black lop buck is also shedding like mad. I go to scratch and pet him and the hair just seems to fall out. I thought maybe it was due to this heatwave that were going through or something. Should I try and brush them with a flea comb or some other type of brush to help out with the fur loss? I haven't noticed anything unusual with any of my does, the juniors, or the kits.....just my 2 bucks. What could cause this rapid hair loss? Any help old be awsome. Thanx

Someone may have more specific info, but one of my bucks is shedding a lot. He's meat mutt but has a thicker, denser fur than the others. Our temps have been in the mid 90's and they're outside in the shade, so I've been chalking it up to heat. I've brushed him with my cat slicker brush (the rubber kind.)

I also have two bucks that are shedding a lot right now. They actually have bald spots on their foreheads where Galadriel has been gently plucking out loose fur. :Roll:

Other rabbits are shedding, too, but these two are apparently seriously blowing coat.

I have found that an easy way to remove loose fur is to mist the rabbits lightly with water and stroke them both with and against the lay of the fur, and kind of "scratch" them with your fingers. If you wear rubber gloves (like you use when washing dishes) the hair comes out even better.

Back