Hello Im new to this board

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IaJewel

Reaction score
Hi, I just found this board.. what a great place! I have been raising rabbits naturally in pens for most of my life. My Father got me started as a child. I have had my current set up for about 10yrs. You can see it at http://www.pet-rabbit.netfirms.com I have yet to meet anyone raising rabbits like this and hope to meet others on this forum. Im going to take some time to read before doing any more posting but wanted to introduce myself and say Hi.

Hello IAJewel and welcome to RabbitTalk! :hi:

Your rabbit pens are certainly a wonderful way to raise rabbits. You'll find many people here with rabbit colonies of various types as well as people who raise their rabbits in cages. I'm sure you will have lots of interesting information to share with us and I hope you enjoy our site. :)

Welcome to RabbitTalk, IaJewel! You have a beautiful setup. I would love to have something like that. Living in the city, though, puts a major limit on my space. If I had lots of space, I think I'd try a colony setup like yours. Very nice pictures! :)

Wow it is a small world. Yes I have done allot of research on the Champagne and am now waiting on a response from the Monistary in France. No one has ever answered the question.. where did the monks get the rabbits. Well.. sevral hundred years later, inquiring minds need to know.. ;)

Oh WELCOME!!!! :hi:
I've sent at least a dozen people to your site since you posted the link to your winter video. I think there's a thread about it here somewhere, too :) Oh, I'm so glad you found us!

(although for some reason I had it in my little pea brain that you're out in South Dakota)

Do you have the link to the thread? Nope.. not SD LOL.. many people also think Im a guy cause of my name.. nope.. Im a skirt wearer ;) Glad you liked the site. Im always looking to improve on my site and my rabbit housing so would love feed back. Would like to see the link so I know what people think.. best way to do better is know what those standing back looking in see.
thank you for your kind words
Jauson

Hi Jauson! Welcome to the forum, there's some really great people on here.

I'm hoping you remember me, I'm still working on tracking down those E.Lops!

Oh my gish.. all my bunny buddies are here and no one told me about this place.. shame on you all.

I have a Question about natural feeding......
I have been feeding my rabbits oranges, citrus tree leaves, olives off our tree daily and all has been well. (They also get the morning pellets and Alfafa hay.) I have given them peppers w/o the stems, pineapple, and stawberry tops a few times before, trying to work up to larger amounts.
Today & yesterday I gave them each 3 stawberry tops and some pineapple, alittle more then before and 2 of the 3 have soft poop in the cage and some on their foot. What's the deal? I would like to increase to a larger amount of fruits and veggies because Different times of the year i have large amounts of scraps, like now going into Lent I am a part time vegan. I thought this would be great all the extra plant scraps could feed the bunnies. Also the doe has 5 baby bunnies should they be allowed to eat the fruits/ veggies too? I let them before and their poop dangle from the cage floor, so I stopped it. Please advise I really don't want to waste all this extra food

desertbunnies":ts1c0e2u said:
I have a Question about natural feeding......
I have been feeding my rabbits oranges, citrus tree leaves, olives off our tree daily and all has been well. (They also get the morning pellets and Alfafa hay.) I have given them peppers w/o the stems, pineapple, and stawberry tops a few times before, trying to work up to larger amounts.
Today & yesterday I gave them each 3 stawberry tops and some pineapple, alittle more then before and 2 of the 3 have soft poop in the cage and some on their foot. What's the deal? I would like to increase to a larger amount of fruits and veggies because Different times of the year i have large amounts of scraps, like now going into Lent I am a part time vegan. I thought this would be great all the extra plant scraps could feed the bunnies. Also the doe has 5 baby bunnies should they be allowed to eat the fruits/ veggies too? I let them before and their poop dangle from the cage floor, so I stopped it. Please advise I really don't want to waste all this extra food
Hi, Desertbunnies, I am not very familiar with natural feeding. I just wanted to advise you to start a new thread with your question, so it will get the attention of those who can help you. :)

Desertbunnies, any fruits and veggies are high in sugars, carbs, starches..stuff that makes animals fat if overdone. Be a bit careful with the amounts you're giving unless the rabbits have a lot of room to run in (I can give my colony does sugar cookies for feed and they'd just run it off, I swear). My rabbits get mainly greens and alfalfa hay during the growing months, with as much parsley/spinach/romaine as I can scavenge during the winter. (and a couple times a week of pellets)

I think IaJewels feeds a lot of veggies? I'd be interested to see how much, and what kind work best.

Too much fruit can cause loose stools in rabbits. The excess sugar is not the best thing for them either. Think about how it is in nature... A wild rabbit will nibble a windfall apple but they rarely eat even half of one. They may eat low-growing or fallen berries, but by far the largest portion of their diet is from grasses, weeds and twigs. Feeding the leaves of blackberry, raspberry or strawberry plants will help offset the laxative effect... something that a wild rabbit would do naturally. The common lawn weed plantain and also shepherd's purse are also useful to firm up stools. Rabbits are not vegetarians... they are herbivores and when being fed naturally this needs to be kept in mind.

Why not get yourself a couple of hens? They will dispose of all that excess fruit and vegetable material and give you lovely fresh eggs as well. :)

When you post a new thread let me know.. as I do have some comments for you on feed..

Back