Indoor Quail?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shara

Reaction score
Not that I am going to try this for sure, but anyone know anything about indoor bird housing?

I mean, I may come up to a time where I need ot move Quail (meat animals) indoors so as to...oh, I dont know, but there may be a reason at some point. Any experience with these guys?

I'll be able to give you all my experience later this year. I will be starting my quail project next month. In the mean time, I too would love to hear others experiences.

My daughter raised quail.the ones we had were tiny not enough meat too bother with .they were excellent layers.if i were getting them i would get the larger birds.they dont take much room though.

Quail-- wanted by high end restaurants and bird dog trainers!!!
You would probably be okay with indoor raising- just make sure you have plenty of light and fresh air circulating. Don't turn them into a factory farm situation, as they stress out very easily.. A friend hatches out the eggs in an incubator, and sells the feathered out chicks as pets for 10 bucks each. _- Oh, the chicks are sold in pairs or larger groups only-- quail are social- they need other quail.

We recently got a pair of Japanese quail at auction. This is one of the main breeds raised for restaurants - meat and eggs. They are about the size of a large pigeon as far as the body goes. They are in the house. They are LOUD and sound like a cross between paper being violently torn apart and a karate tournament. All my dogs are obsessed with them and they are very easily startled by sniffing, tail wagging dogs (these are dogs that don't look twice at our cockatiels or doves). I haven't much experience with them other than reading up on them for a long time before getting them. They must be protected from their tendency to fly straight up when startled or they'll break their necks. This means either a soft top to their cage or a good height. You cannot count on them having any sort of brooding instinct which is why they are hatched in incubators. There's a lot of information on the internet about them.

Back