Register

Suggestions Please

How to help your child get the most from a pet rabbit.
Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,290.00

Re: Suggestions Please

Post Number:#16  Unread postby HOWsMom » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:08 am

Thank you, Miss M.
George (black Dutch), Chaos (Broken Chocolate Mini Rex buck) & Mischief (Broken Chocolate Mini Rex doe)
Fionn (REW Mini Rex buck) & Ballach (Brk. Black Mini Rex doe) - not shown

Also home to 1 dog, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, several degus and fish, some kids and a husband

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 31,003.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby Zass » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:34 am

Pasteurellosis in rabbits is treatable (antibiotics can put it into remission) but not curable.
I have heard of rabbits having to take antibiotics for life as a way to keep it under control. Which could get quite expensive.

I'm afraid, putting it into remission with antibiotics will be the most common way most shelters will handle it. Veterinarians promote that method too, since they are in a position to make quite a bit of money "treating" the illness over the course of a rabbit's lifetime.

There is a vaccine that doesn't actually prevent infection or render the vaccinated animal non-contagious (since the contagion is a bacteria that can harbor in a rabbit's nasal cavity.) It is merely advertised as a way to to lower mortality rates towards a bovine pasteurella. It was designed for laboratory use...

Breeders are encouraged to euthanize in order to stop it from spreading.

It might sound harsh, but if we can't keep a rabbit (because it's contagious to the rest of our animals) and we can't sell or re-home them (again, because it's contagious, and the burden of keeping the disease in remission would be unfair to potential owners)
Euthanasia simply becomes the most logical solution.

I can't help but flip the shelter mentality around:
For every shelter pet re-homed, a perfectly healthy and good-natured rabbit raised by a responsible breeder may go unsold, and thus end up eaten.
Last edited by Zass on Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:56 am, edited 4 times in total.

The following user would like to thank Zass for this post
3mina, Bad Habit, MaggieJ

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 87,553.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:34 am

HOWsMom wrote:So - is this infection treatable / curable ? Or not ?
We have other pets in the home, I'm not sure I would want to take the chance of bringing something into the home if it's not.

Pasteurella can be contracted by most mammals, including humans. It is not possible to eliminate all of the bacteria in a rabbit since it lives deep in the sinus cavities where there is little blood flow so the antibiotics can not actually reach it.

For a full overview of the disease:

technical-sheet-re-pasteurella-multicoda-t15511.html
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

BunnyBucks: 12,964.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby Susie570 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:57 am

Miss M wrote:If you were to adopt from the rescue, I recommend you get only a rabbit that has never been treated for illness. Fur mites or ear mites are one thing, illness is another. If you bring home a rabbit that was treated for Pasteurella, the chances are very good that the rabbit will relapse at some point. It is generally agreed upon that Pasteurellosis cannot actually be cured, only knocked down. This is more of a danger to other rabbits than other species, though it can be transmitted among species, if I remember right.

Yup.

Pasteurella cannot be cured. The rabbit MIGHT remain 'symptom free' for the rest of it's life, and it may require antibiotic support for the rest of its life, but it will still be in the rabbit's system and it will never be safe to have around other, disease free rabbits. The disease can also be passed to the rabbits owned by other people you come into contact with. This is why so many rabbit breeders have a STRICT practice of culling any rabbits that come down with this terrible disease.
Interested in running a forum for Lop rabbits? Ask me.

BunnyBucks: 1,611.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby BlueHaven » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:06 pm

This is just my experience with 4H, I don't care how much they tell you that you can show a pet rabbit. The truth is, that a well bred rabbit from known show lines is going to give your daughter a much better chance at a ribbon than a mutt. It would be nice to know that if she does everything right she will be rewarded. But even if she does everything right with a mutt, she may not win a thing. When it come right down to it, if she is going to really throw herself into this, rabbits being fairly inexpensive. If she were my kido, I would try to get a better bunny if you can. It costs just as much to feed a good one as a mutt, and getting discouraged at the get go is always possible but why not try to limit your risk?
I was told as a kid in 4H that good usable tack was fine for showing my horse. I had a nice one but my tack was old and used. All the elbow grease in the world did not help some kid with a better looking outfit and who also did everything right in the ring got the nod. Its just the way it is.

Site Supporter
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,290.00

Post Number:#21  Unread postby HOWsMom » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:10 pm

I don't think she'll go "whole-hog" into showing, but she is showing interest in doing some shows - probably just local fairs / 4H stuff.

She is also wanting to take part in the 4H "Bunny Hopping" events.

Mostly, we just want a rabbit, or pair of bonded rabbits, that will be wonderful pets for us for several years.
George (black Dutch), Chaos (Broken Chocolate Mini Rex buck) & Mischief (Broken Chocolate Mini Rex doe)
Fionn (REW Mini Rex buck) & Ballach (Brk. Black Mini Rex doe) - not shown

Also home to 1 dog, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, several degus and fish, some kids and a husband

Previous