"Tipping" the Nestbox

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have bunnies in the nestboxes... one litter is three weeks old.. the other two and a half weeks old. I read the threads about 'Keeping them in the Nest" and " When do they Need water". I've gotten the idea that the sooner they start exploring their world... the better.

Would we be doing a good thing to 'tip' the nestbox on its side so the three week old buns could enter and get out easily ?? Or should we leave it upright and let them learn to jump for it ?? It has been about 15 years since we had rabbits ... and i sure have forgotten a Lot !

( they are so cute !! i had forgotten how huge the cuteness factor is with little buns !! )

Funny you should ask this morning! :D I just went out and found 3 of the 9 outside the nestbox YET AGAIN. (they're just 2 weeks old, but eyes open) They're ready to explore, so GOOD!, says I! and I flipped the nestbox on it's side.

Most of my rabbits have tunnels, with a 1inch lip on the opening. They rarely drag any kits out. by the time the kits are starting to move around on their own (other than that squirming to get into the center of the pile) they can easily get over the little lip to get back into the nest. We'll often see the kits out at 2 weeks or so exploring.

Time to tip the nestbox. A nestbox on its side also makes it possible for the doe to jump on top of the box to get away from the kits.

Don't try to make the kits "jump for it" since they need to cluster with the rest of the kits for warmth so make it easier on them.

Be sure your cage wall wire spacing is small enough to keep them from escaping (1/2 inch is good).

Have a good day!
Franco Rios

I've actually never tipped a nestbox. I put a brick in front of it to give them a step. I always pull the nest at 21 days.

And yes...there is a HUGE cuteness factor. lol

This morning during chores... i 'tipped' the nestbox of the three week old crew. Tried to do it gently so they wouldn't think that their world had litterally turned up-side-down. After a few minutes... one bunny worked its way out. Looked around... found and sniffed Momma... then found its way back into the box. Maybe he was on a reconniasance mission ? :lol:

I've never tipped a nestbox over either. I just pile hay up in front of it, so the babies have a bit of space to get in if they are young still.

Qadoshyah

Another kit died from wandering out and freezing. That's it! I am tipping the box from now on! 6 frozen kits is unacceptable. And sad.

The reason I prefer to use a brick as a step up for emerging kits is that tipping the nest box often leads to the nesting materials getting scattered and not keeping the kits warm. It's also messy.

I tip the box and take most of the mess out of the box. I leave a bit of fur and some new straw and they are good to go.

Once they hit two-three weeks they are well furred and can huddle together for warmth quite nicely.

haven't lost a kit that I've tipped the box for all winter. NOW... I have lost kits that I didn't tip the box for...so ALL boxes get tipped now...even if the kits are tiny 2.5 week olds...still gets tipped. I don't like losing kits if I can prevent it.

We have our boxes rigged so that the front easily slides out from the rest of the box and the babies can come in and out as they please. They're a pain to make though.

We have our boxes rigged so that the front easily slides out from the rest of the box and the babies can come in and out as they please. They're a pain to make though.

I'd like to see a copy of those nestboxes

I don't have a plan or photos, since they're back home and were distributed with the herd and cages. I can describe them though, basically its like a slot. My dad used a dremmel (I doubt that's how its spelled) to put grooves in the inside side of the box and adjusted a piece of wood to be the right size, file off the edges so it'll slide right in. Does that make sense?

I like it, I'll have to see what I can figure for it. even if I commission one or two done that would be a boon. :)

I will give those a try too! I haven't lost anymore kits since I tipped the box at 2.5 weeks. But it did make a mess. The does insisted on using the straw bed as a potty. Not good. Hair all stuck to cage floor too. Will have to burn it off some time. I would rather not tip the box if possible. I was going to use a brick, but they were all frozen under snow. As soon as someone makes one of those boxes, maybe they could post pictures? :)

Back