What about the white nose rabbit on home page?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the name Gracie - just placed a darling fat cat who I called Gracie - every time I said her name I smiled :)

avdpas77":34suchnv said:
I don't know much about rabbit genetics, but I can not really find any gene that would cause this except, perhaps, "dark dutch". Since I have no idea what rabbits with a dark dutch genes look like, I have no idea. The Dutch/english spot gene combination didn't seem to spark any attention from my inquirys, and since they are very closely linked on the same chromasome, it is perhaps unlikley anyway. Save those rabbits! You may be the proud owner of a new gene. I hope you breed Alice to her son....does he have any white markings?

Actually, I have a brother-sister pair that ARE the result of Dutch x English spot rabbits!!! One is definitely Dutch marked, the other has some white-- not enough to even consider calling her Dutch marked... I had their Sire-- but like so many of my rabbits-- he did the broken neck thing one Saturday morning when the hunters arrived. The sire and a litter of 8 were dropped here- 3 colored kits, the rest white with spotting...

I just noticed that my Delilah has this marking on her and I think it makes sense since she is 1/2 Beveren which is a BEW. I thought it was odd that a black rabbit could come from a (I assumed White) NZ and a BEW Beveren. But since a Beveren isn't albino and therefore actually colored (?), the REW of the NZ was recessive in the kits and Delilah is Vienna marked? Is this correct or am I totally confused/wrong? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Here is her Pic.

100_0650.jpg

yes, that's vienna marked. :) it comes from the Blue eyed factor in the beveran.<br /><br />__________ Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:50 am __________<br /><br />at least that's my understanding of things. I have much to learn when it comes to genetics as well.

ladysown":24iigr4e said:
yes, that's vienna marked. :) it comes from the Blue eyed factor in the beveran.

__________ Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:50 am __________

at least that's my understanding of things. I have much to learn when it comes to genetics as well.

Thanks! So do you know if breeding a REW with a BEW is like breeding it with a colored rabbit? It uncovers the colors in the REW?

I'd have to say it must be otherwise how could Delilah be black, but I don't know 100% that her NZ parent was white, just maybe 99%.

I don't know. From what I"ve read though, most do not recommend breeding REW to BEW (but if you aren't showing...does it matter?)

Yes, I've heard that also. And no, I'm not showing, so it might be fun to mess around with. Hmmm... a BEW New Zealand? :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back