deciphering show bills

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueHaven

Reaction score
I am not clear on the meaning of some of these.

I know what open and youth mean, but

Do all breeds show at every show, or if its says say,, Mini lop only, or satin only, or
if a breed is sanctioned, are those the only breeds that will be at that show?

I don't want to go to shows if the breed I am interested in won't be there.

Unless it is a specialty show, all arba recognized breeds should be shown.

If it is sanctioned for all breeds, it will say OPEN or YOUTH. If the word SPECIALTY appears, that particular part of the show is sanctioned for a particular breed only. Yes, there are shows where both are held.

Whether or not you should reasonably expect to see your favorite breeds shown is normally reflected in the breed sanctions list on the sponsoring club's catalog. The reason the local club pays breed sanctions is because they usually have sufficient numbers of each listed breed to justify paying the sanction fees to their respective national specialty clubs.

SatinsRule":1mhm1g5q said:
If it is sanctioned for all breeds, it will say OPEN or YOUTH.

Here at least, if a show is Open or Youth that just means that all breeds are eligible to be shown, not that they are actually Sanctioned. Sanctions are sometimes paid by the host club (if they have had past entries with numbers great enough to merit it) but an individual can also pay the Sanction fees.

Sanctions only matter if you are a member of your national breed club and are running points.

If a show is Open only, Youth can enter their rabbits in Open.

My daughter shows Satins, and there are not many youth here that do so, so I usually include a note to the show secretary to "bump" her to Open if there is not enough competition in Youth. Some Youth competitors prefer to stay in Youth and don't worry about getting Legs/Points and would rather go for a Best In Show in Youth.

BlueHaven":1mhm1g5q said:
if its says say,, Mini lop only, or satin only

That is usually a "Specialty Show" held in conjunction with the Open/Youth show. So say there are Shows A and B at the event; if you also enter the Specialty, your rabbit(s) will be seen by three different judges that day.

BlueHaven":1mdyh50j said:
...Do all breeds show at every show, or if its says say,, Mini lop only, or satin only, or if a breed is sanctioned, are those the only breeds that will be at that show?
Look at the show catalog on line to see what breeds are sanctioned. That just means they are the one that are eligible for points. If its an Open/Youth show you "can" show anything you have.

Case in point. I'm going to a show the 13th and showing one of my Flemish Giants. They are not sanctioned but I know there will be 10-12 more there so we'll have fun with them in the A and the B shows. They are also having 3 specialty shows the same day, Californians, Satins and a English/French Lops so I'll show my French buck as well.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
06/13/15

Southern Colorado RBA

All Breed Double Open & Youth Show

Colorado State Fairgrounds

Pueblo CO

Show Catalog

6/13/2015

Colorado State Lop Club

Specialty show for English and French Lops

Colorado State Fairgrounds
Pueblo CO