The Haystache thread!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay!
This is our second litter (I say 'our' but really Clover does all the heavy lifting!)-- the first was Clover's first and she was an amazing mama to 10, all weaned.
Today is day 27 and I was going to give her the Nestbox tomorrow.
At evening feed she was racing about trying to tell me something... I fed her hay and she made a hole in the middle of the pike and started haystaching :lol:
I guess it is almost time!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Now if only the doe I bought bred, in case we need a foster mom (who is at day 29) would show some sign of pregnancy :x

I really didn't think breeding was successful with this doe, but this morning when I went to check on the one that kindled last night she had 4 pitiful pieces of hay in her mouth bouncing from corner to corner with it... I put a nest box in and borrowed some material from the doe next door. She happily got started getting things situated...

Yay!
My little (well 7 lb) Rex cross doe that bought bred (and she wasn't) met me with the sweetest little haystache shoved right in my face tonight (her cage is at eye level). She is so shy and never initiates (or accepts!) any contact, so she surprised me!
Tomorrow is day 29.
I bred her to my junior Cali buck.
No photo but sharing because I am excited!
And I'm a dork and I don't think this will ever get old!

I was so pleased to see this Tuesday evening! She was not preparing her nest as early as she usually does and I thought she was not pregnant this time around.
Preparing the nestbox.jpg
Photos of the litter that just arrived being added in the new litter thread! :D :bunnyhop: <br /><br /> __________ Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:24 am __________ <br /><br /> Happy to see our Mini Lop, Lily, haystaching this morning! :bunnyhop:
This will be her 2nd litter. Thanks to my daughter Audrey for the great picture. Her younger sister reached in to give Lily a petting and she plopped down to take a rest and enjoy the attention.
Lily%2Bhaystache%2Baugust%2B2015.jpg

We are small scale and this will be the most Mini Lop litters we'll have had around at one time.
We have a litter of 2 week olds, and a litter of 3 week olds.

Good thing I kept track of the date. On Oct. 11th we had our first fall-off. I wasn't convinced, but... maybe.
This is our first time breeding, so we'll see.
Yesterday morning, I noticed that a small amount of Aja's feed grass was in a faint circular pattern in the back corner of her cage. I filled her nest, gave it to her, and she pulled everything out and piled it outside the box. This morning, I moved the box to where I saw the circle. She's working again this evening. I hope she figures it out and doesn't kindle on the wire. We're still in the 70s at night, so maybe it would be okay?
...I'm not sure what the plan is. She made a little pile in front of her feeder. :popcorn:

IMG_5510.jpg

These pictures were from a while ago, but so adorable I had to share! :D
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Showing off her handy work....oops, she got in he way! :lol:

image.jpg

There we go!
image.jpg

Hello there! :D
image.jpg

:roll:
image.jpg

Modeling was happily provided by Princess from Easy Ears rabbitry. :mrgreen:

This is my Flemish Giant doe, Shirley. As far as we know, she was never bred, but she was with our buck. We observed the entire time, and we didn't see him "fall off" She either thinks she's pregnant, or he got her and we weren't aware. This would be her first litter. We can both ( My husband and I) feel something, so hopefully she's actually pregnant. :)

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 4,133
JJCRabbitry":2awl7i8v said:
This is my Flemish Giant doe, Shirley. As far as we know, she was never bred, but she was with our buck. We observed the entire time, and we didn't see him "fall off" She either thinks she's pregnant, or he got her and we weren't aware. This would be her first litter. We can both ( My husband and I) feel something, so hopefully she's actually pregnant. :)

Congrats! Here's hoping for the best!! I know from personal experience that they can most definitely get pregnant without an obvious fall off or even lift! I watched two of mine, and it was obvious she never even lifted (the cages were higher so I could see everything going on from below). I didn't think it was even possible, but then as I was checking on the two other nesting does that were bred at the same time I saw her with a mouthful of hay! 5 wiggly babies were born soon after.

What day is she on?

heritage":235s0m1j said:
JJCRabbitry":235s0m1j said:

Congrats! Here's hoping for the best!! I know from personal experience that they can most definitely get pregnant without an obvious fall off or even lift! I watched two of mine, and it was obvious she never even lifted (the cages were higher so I could see everything going on from below). I didn't think it was even possible, but then as I was checking on the two other nesting does that were bred at the same time I saw her with a mouthful of hay! 5 wiggly babies were born soon after.

What day is she on?

She is on 28, and we thought he may have bred her, but he just kind of slid to one side, so we weren't sure. Her sister has already has a litter, so she needs to get her butt moving. Either way, it's exciting to see nest making, even if it doesn't amount to anything. :) <br /><br /> __________ Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:31 pm __________ <br /><br /> My husband walked out to this girl this morning. Her name is Helena, and she is one of my mix breed rescues. Hoping she will have kits, but i'm doubtful. She's one of residents here, and she will have a forever home with us.

Attachments

• helena haystache.jpg
    helena haystache.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 4,077
My Lucy is expecting her first litter. Walked out to feed this morning and she had her haystache going on LOL

Attachments

• rabbi.jpg
    rabbi.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 5,295
Our new Mini Lop doe Spirit's Scarlet has been haystaching yesterday and today! Tonight she started pulling fur. This is her 2nd litter but first here at our rabbitry. She came to us bred.

Scarlet%2Bhaystaching%2BMarch%2B21%2B2016.jpg

well, after almost an entire year of nothing but one DOA litter......i have haystaches. one expected, one.....totally unexpected. looks like i've got my self a 'no lift, no falloff' litter. or a falsie! but considering that she has a haystache of this calibur, i'm expecting the bunny christ.

tumblr_ohtph4N5ue1vlx0zao1_1280.jpg

that's an entire fistful of hay she has in her mouth

I get so excited when hay stashing starts.... I have a doe that likes to start at week 2... I like to mess up her nests to keep her busy for the next 2 weeks...lol

Congrats!!
Shazza... that is one serious hay stash!!
Good luck and keep us posted. (this means we want pictures)

tumblr_okwrguwhCf1vlx0zao1_540.jpg

first-time silver fox doe doing a great job of nest building yesterday. i love when they sit in the nests like this <3 later she hopped out for a rest but she kept a little haystache for probably an hour before she finally ate it :p

Here is are 2 photos of my one doe Anastasia... first one was her showing me her haystache for her first ever litter... :lol:

And second one is the same doe with a furstache... wondering why I'm bothering her mid plucking! :shock:

Attachments

• anahaystache.jpg
    anahaystache.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 4,953
  • anafurstache.jpg
    anafurstache.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 4,953
Hi,

my Black Fury at it again, in vain, poor girl, it's a false pregnancy. She dug a nice tunnel under my lilies and roses, filled it with hay, and before I could stick the camara in to make a picture of the nest the tunnel was gone, except for a patch of fresh dirt. She has that habit to seal off her tunnels, also the nestbox entrance always gets stuffed tight with hay.

Attachments

• Haystache Schwarze 2 30-4-2017.jpg
    Haystache Schwarze 2 30-4-2017.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 4,864
  • Haystache Schwarze 1 30-4-2017.jpg
    Haystache Schwarze 1 30-4-2017.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 4,864
  • Haystache Schwarze 3 30-4-2017.jpg
    Haystache Schwarze 3 30-4-2017.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 4,864
Back