can't seem to win...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiebear

Reaction score
As some of you know I recently culled a buck that had persistent ear mites..Now my kitty Harvey has ear mites :( ..ughh.. got mite drops from my local over priced feed store..this better work :angry: The poor guy has scratched the fur off his ears, and has dark gunk in them..I tried to treat with oil. .but he still has them. :x

I remember taking some feral kittens to the vet and they had ear mites. I don't know what they put in them, but it worked really well! (it was nasty when it all came out though! blech!)

This guy came to me like that too..I thought it was just crud, but it never went away..I had him fixed last month and they didn't say anything about it either. .but it was a clinic and they were looking at the other end.. :p
He seems to have forgiven me at least until the next time.. :x

I use mineral oil to get rid of ear mites. I had a shepherd that had a reaction to the mite meds I got from the vet(over 20 years ago) and had to find an alternative. It works great. Sorry your critter is going through this. Those things are nasty.

Harvey is doing much better now.. I had tried the oil but it didn't cut through the crud, I have not seen mites in anything other than rabbits.And never bad. I was hesitant to use chemicals but with the oil not even budging it...I figured I better do something before the poor kitty scratched his ears off .. :x

We have discovered a product called Evolv and it works GREAT on my mums old cat.

Its mainly steam treated cedar oil - treated to remove the carcinogens - and it kills fleas, ticks, ear mites and FIRE ANTS!!!

And it smells great too. :D

GBov":nv2g2uk6 said:
Its mainly steam treated cedar oil - treated to remove the carcinogens - and it kills fleas, ticks, ear mites and FIRE ANTS!!!
You had my attention at FIRE ANTS. :p

I went and looked it up, and found that in the Southeast USA, fire ants are beginning to be displaced by crazy ants... which are so bad that people miss the fire ants. :shock:

Miss M":1jl607kv said:
GBov":1jl607kv said:
You had my attention at FIRE ANTS. :p

I went and looked it up, and found that in the Southeast USA, fire ants are beginning to be displaced by crazy ants... which are so bad that people miss the fire ants. :shock:

So far crazy ants havnt been a problem to me but then again, we don't have a huge population of them. As Evolv works on Fire Ants it should work on Crazy Ants too.

I havnt used it on baby rabbits yet but its about the only thing I havnt sprayed it on. Have even used it on myself to repel mosquitoes.

And it does work on ants, I have trialed it myself to be sure. It takes about a min or so to work, just like on ticks so they both must be waaaay tougher than fleas, it works in seconds on them.

My mums old cat is ear mite free for the first time in, like, forever. :D Even Ivermectin wasn't keeping them away long and I hated to hit his system with it over and over so this stuff is a gods send.

Miss M":2ps3kqy6 said:
That's great to know... thanks for the information, GBov! :p

You are most welcome! Wish I had stock in the company, I recommend it to everyone! :lol:

I Googled it and found a trial for a buck ninty-nine..I recommend it to my sister in law she's in Michigan and her little grand daughter is a mosquito magnet... I hope she tries it.. It looks good from the reviews. .

EnglishSpot":3ef9382q said:
I know Fire Ants, I lived in Texas. What are Crazy Ants??

They are a non nesting ant that smothers its prey with numbers rather than stings. The entire ball of ants move every day and, in small numbers, are not a problem.

Some places have hundreds of billions of em though so, yeh, a problem.

I had a nest of them in my old van, they were just funny to me but the nest was small.

They get their name from the crazy way they run in all directions all the time.

If anyone tries evolv on their rabbits, please let's the rest of us know. Some of us have to be extra careful since we have a very small herd. It would be ideal to try it on meat rabbits and see if there are any issues.

I worry because there are some reports of vomiting and diarrhea in cats... and rabbits clean themselves a lot.

GBov":1m48v6sc said:
EnglishSpot":1m48v6sc said:
I know Fire Ants, I lived in Texas. What are Crazy Ants??

They are a non nesting ant that smothers its prey with numbers rather than stings. The entire ball of ants move every day and, in small numbers, are not a problem.

Some places have hundreds of billions of em though so, yeh, a problem.

I had a nest of them in my old van, they were just funny to me but the nest was small.

They get their name from the crazy way they run in all directions all the time.

Must Google Crazy Ants!..... <br /><br /> __________ Fri May 29, 2015 8:31 am __________ <br /><br /> Oh my! Sometimes I am glad I live where there are cold winters to kill these things off.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/rasbe ... n/25146024

I use it for ear mites in my herd and no problems so far. Well, other than them freaking out when the spray bottle hisses in their ear! :lol:

Not sprayed them down with it because they are in all wire cages so no flea problems to be dealt with.

Have misted lightly over a nest box to keep mosquitoes away from the kits with not problems but it was a very light misting only once so don't know how they would do with more.

Back