Update on the 'Giant Tiger Bunnies' and a harle question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TF3

Reaction score
My FG-ish babies are over 6 weeks and they are so much fun!
It has been fascinating watching their colour as they grow.
In the end, three were fawn with blue undertones and 7 have harlequin.
7 bucks, 3 does once the sex change fairy finished up her work.
(the harle was a surprise from what I purchased as a pregnant FG :lol: )
I'm just tinkering with the harlequin for learning and fun, I don't expect it will be a recognized colour any time soon! ;)

These are the 2 does I am keeping ~ they have been consistently the largest in the litter and they have the heaviest harlequin.
Speedwell:
speedy.jpg

And Holly:
holly2.jpg
holly1.jpg

None of the bucks wow me, but I'd like one to breed back to mom to see what happens with the 'ej'
The one I am planning on keeping has some midline division of colour and good size.
BUT this one has a white spot on his nose... is that a mismark in harlequin OR something else that may be worth keeping.
None of the others showed any white beyond their agouti.
sixer.jpg

Mom is due again next week, so if she shows me something better I'll move these bucks along.

And just because he's cute (and look at the colour on those back legs!)
leavinng.jpg

BUT this one has a white spot on his nose... is that a mismark in harlequin OR something else that may be worth keeping.

Its not at all desirable in purebred harlequins, but...I wonder if it would cause any problems at all in giant tiger bunnies?? ;)

I would totally work on tiger bunnies instead of patched harlequins. :lol: The lack of good patterns for show is part of the reason I haven't gotten actual harlequin breed rabbits. I also found the heads exceedingly ugly on the only local stock and I think he was flat out lying about how they did on the table. All you had to do was glance at what he brought for show versus selling.

I wish I was closer to you!!! I would love to have one of those Harli'd FG's!!!!! They are beautiful! If you hear of anyone transporting to southern virginia let me know!!!!

I remember seeing one of the harlis with a very cute BAM black blotch around one eye, looked like it had been sucker punched. ;)

That's not desirable for the harlequin breed, but I thought it was pretty cute.

They are pretty darn cute! I wasn't sure at first but they are growing on me :)
It will be interesting to see the girls grown up!

Susie, we call him Eye Spot ;)
ab1.jpg

I can't imagine why you would call him that :lol:

On closer inspection, it looks like he has a big bushy eyebrow. :D

That white spot on the nose could be the 'Vienna mark' - not desirable unless an actual Vienna breed. Here in Australia I personally think a lot of breeds are being ruined because they are either vienna marked or vienna carriers which are being advertised as purebred, now I try to buy any purebreds from a reputable show breeder.

I have 3 Vienna marked New Zealand does, which will eventually be culled as I currently have just over 50 breeders but these three does are quite nasty, they growl and lunge whether they have a litter or not. I did have a forth vm doe but the little twit bit my hand and drew blood when I was feeding her so she went to bunny heaven that day.

Vienna marks can show up as white spots on the body (mainly the face), white socks on the feet or fully Vienna marked like the actual breed. <br /><br /> __________ Fri May 29, 2015 1:36 pm __________ <br /><br /> Sorry Miss M,
I didn't realize - I think I may have accidentally pushed 'B' instead of 'D' if it is the word I am thinking of.

I'm not going to say it isn't vienna in this case, but I do have the same type of white marks cropping up in my purebred harlequins, and I'm reasonably confident it's not vienna in mine.

It seems to be familiar to most who have bred harlequins, highly heritable, and something that can appear in the same places as vms. That's about all I know for sure.

Attachments

• GEDC4907.JPG
    GEDC4907.JPG
    274.9 KB · Views: 473
Back